HOWARD_MCDONALD

Suggestions For Template Organization?

I maintain a mailing list for people in my organization. I answer light-technical questions re: MS Office, document the answer in Word, then send to group. When new people are added to group, they get a welcome letter listing prior articles so they can reply back to request a copy.

The prior messages are stored as Outlook message templates. Each template includes introductory text re: the problem and the Word file is attached to the template. Works OK.

Wondered if anybody had ideas for a better way to do this, as I have to do a lot of work to maintain this (creating the template, adding a shortcut to it on my toolbar, updating welcome letter to reference the newest article, etc.) and the number of templates will eventually get really large.

Have very little programming experience. Thanks for all input - just looking for ideas. Outlook 2000 SR-1.

Howard.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Suggestions For Template Organization?

Hi Howard,
    Re suggestions on how to maintain/send our your letter. I didn't realize you could store prior messages as templates - how do you do that? And what do you mean by a template - like a user form?
    What I would do is have a group distribution list and keep a running list of help call responses with a table of contents. If your group doesn't have an intranet where you could post it, and you're on a network, what do you think about providing a link to the location of your articles? Or perhaps post the articles in your 'public' folders under Outlook.
    Or, you could do a mail merge using your contacts and send them the info that way.
    Patricia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

save the template to the file system then copy it (drag and drop) to an outlook folder called "templates".

you can also puiblish it to a templetes folder and select it from the actions menu.

either method is better than making shortcut buttons.

as for updating the word doc, use a shortcut instead and replace the doc - keep a copy of the doc on a web site of drive all have access to.

HOWARD_MCDONALD

Patricia,

Storing prior messages as templates: write the entire message. Prior to sending it, go to the Tools menu, Forms, Design This form... Then go to File, Save As and save as an Outlook Template (.oft) and place in whatever folder you want. If there are attachements to the message, those are referenced in the template as well. I'm not really sure what a user form is in Outlook parlance. My "template" is a pre-built document, with all the text I need, etc. It's just sort of a starter document - nothing fancy. When you pull up a "blank" mail message in OL, it's coming from a default blank mail template. When I pull up a support mail message, I'm just pulling a copy of one of those templates, which already has the boilerplate text I want to include in the message (and the attachmed Word document).

Your suggestions are well-made; unfortunately I'm not on the same network as the people I support and we don't have a web page - we're talking mid-80's technology here. The only way I can communicate with them is via e-mail. Sorry - I should have noted that originally.

Thanks for the help. Hope you understood my encapsulation of creating message templates.

Howard

HOWARD_MCDONALD

Mary,

Thanks - I will give this a try.

Howard