Star Lounger
    Thanks

Media Player (No Video, no Sound) (XP Pro, SP2)

Hi Folks!
    Hope you can help me. We have a machine with Windows XP Pro SP2 and Windows Media Player 9 installed. The Problem is, that WMP 9 won't play any kind of file. To be exact, it opens the file and the progress bar is running just as supposed. The problem is that you can neither hear nor see anything. No matter what kind of file you open. MP3, wav, mpeg, avi, ... always the same effect. Funny thing is, it worked before. No major software/hardware change has been made. One day it was shut down as usual, the next day - goodbye to sound and video.
    A few weeks ago we had the same problem on another machine. On that one I tried to install WMP 10, the newest DirectX version, and all kinds of codecs I could find - nothing. I found several solutions all over the web, but nothing worked for me. Even turning down the screen resolution, as mentioned in another thread here, brought no solution. (Btw, we are running 1024x768, true color.)

You have any ideas left for me? Thx!!
    Philipp
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Murphys Law rules the world, bow to it!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Media Player (No Video, no Sound) (XP Pro, SP2

Sounds like you have tried all the difficult things, or at least some of them, in your search for a solution. Start simple...
    <UL><LI>Have you checked the volume controls in Start - Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices? Open that, and click on Advanced under the Device Volume section (there are two Advanced buttons, so make sure you pick the first one). Anything muted?
    <LI>Do these files play normally in any other applications?[/list]I can't see where adjusting the screen resolution would have anything to do with the sound coming from your computer, but what do I know? Even if you were unable to see the picture for some reason, you should still hear sound. If you have a reference to the other thread, could you please post it?
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark!

I can't currently access the computer but as far as I can remember nothing is muted. Anyway, I'll check it again.
    The only application capable of playing audio- and video-files on the machine is WMP. Because of company guidelines we don't want to install another media player (e.g. RealPlayer). But we have tried different files on several machines in the office, all are playing perfectly smooth.
    I found the other thread through the search-function but I haven't saved it, sorry. Anyway, I also don't think that reducing the resolution will change anything here.
    Thx for your help so far. As soon as I can get access to the machine again, I'll check the Device Volume.
    Philipp

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 889 Posts

Have you checked in the Device Manager to make sure that you can see your sound card and it is OK? Have you checked to make sure the speakers are attached to the sound card? Can you use c:windowssystem32mplay32.exe (old media player 6.4) successfully?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe!

The sound card is ok, the drivers are ok (latest available) and the speakers are ok. I already tested all of this stuff. I also created an absolutely new user profile to make sure it has nothing to do with some wrong user settings. I didn't try the old WMP yet, but I will and inform you of the result. Thx so far!
    Philipp