3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting whole document (XP SP3)

Hi,

I am not an advanced user of word but feel i know the package reasonably well. i have however come across something that has baffled me and the rest of the ICT team here. I have a document with quite a plain layout/format but when i select any line or number of lines and apply a bold format, the whole document (regardless of selection area, the whole document) goes bold. If i Ctrl + Z the selected text remains bold but the remainder of the document returns to normal.

the syptoms happen regardless of format applied - bold, underline, italic etc. it doesnt take affect if it is only a word selected, it appears to only happen if a line feed / carriage return is in the selection.

is this meant to happen? Have i got a setting ticked somewhere that i can switch to stop this?

tia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting whole document (XP SP3)

Hi Jack

The first thing that occurs to me is that the document may not have been a native Word .doc in the first place, as suggested from the "quite a plain layout/format". It may be that the LF/CRs are in fact soft returns, rather than paragraph marks. Check tis by turning on paragraph marks on the toolbar.

If this is the case, you may be applying bold etc. to just one big paragraph. You can use search & replace with Special Characters to correct the formatting, then apply your own in the way you want.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Activate the Styles and Formatting task pane.
    Right click a style, for example Normal, and select Modify...
    Make sure that the check box "Automatically update" is clear. If it is ticked, manual formatting applied to a paragraph will automatically redefine the style, so that ALL paragraphs with that style will be changed too.
    Repeat for other styles as necessary.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

it was ticked, nice one Hans, thank you.