New Lounger
    Thanks

Autocorrect entries in custom templates (2003 SP1)

I am finding that my autocorrect entries do not show up in new documents created using my custom template.
    If I create a new blank document, they show up fine. I have used the AutoCorrectBackup macro which is in Normal.dot, on both the template, as well as the new document created by it, but it doesn't make any difference.
    I don't know what to do next.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autocorrect entries in custom templates (2003

I haven't used Word 2003. However, just to clarify, are you talking about AutoCorrect entries or AutoText entries? AutoCorrect entries are shared by Office programs & are contained in a file usually called <username>000.acl. Autotext entries are specific to Word templates.

If you are talking about AutoCorrect entries, I should mention that formatted entries (i.e. other than plain text ones) are kept in normal.dot, rather than an .acl file.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I am talking about AutoCorrect entries. I use the Microsoft macro to restore AutoCorrect entries from a file called AutoCorrect Backup Document.doc, and those entries can be called from a new blank document, but not from a document created from my template. I have run the macro on the template, and Word says that the AutoCorrect entries are restored, but when you call them in either the template, or a document created from the template, they do not appear.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autocorrect entries in custom templates (2003 SP1)

It is possible that there is another problem here.... I have 3 computers running Word 2003. Two of them have just stopped saving any changes to templates whatsover.... new styles, new toolbars, changes to styles. If I remove normal.dot it won't be created even though I change things which should necessitate the creation of a normal.

However on the third computer everything is running fine.

The only reason I can think of for this coincidence is that both these computers have just had the latest Windows XP patches installed... about 90 minutes ago. But the other one hasn't.

Have you had the latest patches to XP, released today?

Jim.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, I haven't done any upgrades today. This problem is showing up on all three of my computers, but it may have started after a previous upgrade performed automatically by Microsoft. It used to work fine, and it was only a few days ago, when I went to use the autocorrect to replace mnemonics I use to save typing, that I noticed the problem. Since I synchronize files on all of my machines, the problem was probably moved by myself unknowingly.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't had ocassion to use either the MS utility or the Word MVP one. However, on the Word MVP site, Dave Rado mentions that the MS one doesn't work with multiple paragraphs or tables. Perhaps you can try theirs. You can find it at How can I import and export all my AutoCorrect entries, so they can be transferred to another machine? Post back & let us know if this works for you.

If it doesn't help, see the troubleshooting steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

I also tried shutting off Adobe, but it didn't make a difference.
    After many hours of patient dissection, I discovered what was causing my problem. It turned out that older templates had been constructed using Language= English(UK). The new installation of Office 2003 likes a default of English(US). Once I changed all of my templates to English(US), I appear to have solved this vexatious problem.
    Thank you so much for your assistance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you would like to use UK English, check out the thread starting at <post#=439040>post 439040</post#>.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've discovered the cause of my problem. Yesterday I installed Adobe Acrobat 7.0 on the two machines that lost their ability to update Normal.dot. Removing the Office integration in Acrobat corrected the problem. Good luck tracking down your solution.