Star Lounger
    Thanks

Undelivered Mail problem (OE 6.00)

Greetings fellow loungers,
    I'm having a problem that the various ISP can't seem to resolve. When I send a message to an address, I receive an undelivered mail returned to sender message as follows:

This is the SMTP Server program at host wanadoo.fr.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The SMTP Server program

<name@rainbowtel.net>: host kcisp.net.mail2.psmtp.com[64.18.4.10] said: 554
    sorry, your envelope sender is in my badmailfrom list (#5.7.1) (in reply to
    RCPT TO command)

Wanadoo.fr is my ISP and I'm sending a message to a friend whose ISP is rainbowtel.net. Can anyone help me? Wanadoo seems convinced that the problem is in Outlook Express and walked me through my connection and account settings (nothing appeared wrong there) and then claimed that they had fixed the problem. It was not fixed. Rainbowtel says the problem is with Wanadoo and stops there. All other mail goes out fine and I can receive mail without a problem from the friend at Rainbowtel.net. Can anyone tell me with which ISP the problem lies and then how to get them to solve it?
    Many thanks in advance.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Undelivered Mail problem (OE 6.00)

I don't know for certain, but with this -

<name@rainbowtel.net>: host kcisp.net.mail2.psmtp.com[64.18.4.10] said: 554
    sorry, your envelope sender is in my badmailfrom list (#5.7.1) (in reply to
    RCPT TO command)

I read that as saying that the recipient's host, kcisp.net.mail2.psmtp.com, or maybe the recipient him/herself, has your email address (or maybe wanadoo's) in its blacklist and therefore won't receive email from you. It's probably not *your* email address specifically, eg me@domain.com, it's more likely to be the domain, domain.com in my example, or wanadoo itself.

It might have happened by accident, so you could contact your recipient another way and ask him/her to check their personal blacklist and maybe ask their IT people if either 'domain.com' (meaning your domain address, of course) or wanadoo.fr is on the corporate one if it's a work address.

I had this happen to my domain (bigfoot) at one point but I have several email addresses I use and I simply use one of the others when I want to contact this particular person now.
    Beryl M

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds as if wanadoo are being less than frank with you. There are a number of wanadoo.fr IP addresses that are included in the SORBS (dnsbl.sorbs.net) blacklist. These probably have arisen from wanadoo customers that have since been banned by wanadoo. In the meantime, the IP addresses continue on the blacklist, and, perhaps understandably, it is not easy to get oneself removed from a blacklist. I suggest that you try <!profile=BerylM>BerylM<!/profile>'s solution of either you or your friend using another address - unless you want to go through the trouble of changing ISP's. HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks unkamunka and BerlyM for the advice. The problem was indeed with Rainbowtel and Kcisp.net, which had blacklisted the entire wanadoo domain. Luckily those ISP's are small and rurally oriented provider's meaning that the people I was able to talk to I actually know and grew up with. They unblacklisted me and I'm now able to send mail to the rainbowtel.net domain. Wanadoo is too big and clearly didn't understand the nature of the problem -- it was certainly not in my OE configuration as they tried to get me to swallow on the customer service line (while racking up the phone charges). How annoying. Many thanks for your advice and help.