New Lounger
    Thanks

Test Scores Database (A2K/WXP)

I am developing a database to track student test scores through elementary grades. I have a student info table, and then separate tables for each type of test score that I need to track. The student number is the primary key and I have imported the student info from our district's student database. I have made up a form with the student number, student name, and fields for all the test info. What I would like to do is go to the form when I have new scores to input, put in the student number, and the new scores. I would have a control/button on the form to click to trigger the update. The problem I am having is how do I get the database to UPDATE an existing record not create a new record. I am getting error messages saying the primary key is not a valid number because it duplicates an existing number.

Also, how do I set it up so I can put in a student number on the form and have it display the various test scores that have been entered for the student. Thanks for any help you can give.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Test Scores Database (A2K/WXP)

Do you have a specific reason for creating separate tables for each type of test score? It would seem easier to store all scores in one table, with a student id and one or more fields to identify what the score is for.

New Lounger
    Thanks

As I get into this, I think that probably is the way to go.

New Lounger
    Thanks

But even if I only use one table how do I set up the form to display the name and the test scores entered so far when I enter a student id on the form. How do I get it to transfer the data from the table to the form. Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It depends on the way you set up your tables, but I would create a main form bound to the students table, and a subform bound to the scores table, linked to the main form by student id. When you move from record to record in the main form, the subform will automatically display the scores for the current student, and if you enter or modify data, they will be stored in the right place.