New Lounger
    Thanks

Frequent causes of corruptions (2000-2003)

Hello all,
    A while back I built a database for a group of co-workers (started in Access 2000, have since been using 2003). It's not terribly complex, however, a couple of the queries are built on other queries (1 to 2 deep), adding to the complexity. Despite my urging them not to, they have insisted on making copies for each new month and transferring copies from hard drive to LAN and back. Frequently they try to use a new version only to get an error stating that the database has been corrupted. I try to run Tools, Database Utilities, Compact & Repair, but to no avail, so they have to go back to the previous month's version. It might be the fault of my database design, or it might be something else. At this point, I'm not sure. So, my question is this. Do any of you know of any common reasons for database corruption? I'd like to gather a few ideas and try to eliminate causes, if possible. I'm not asking for specific thoughts on why my problem is happening (although if you have any thoughts, don't hesitate to share!), but rather trying to find some general places to troubleshoot. Since I'm not a regular user of the database and don't interact with it until they tell me it's corrupted again, it's been hard to track possible causes. Any thoughts, comments, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Stacy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Frequent causes of corruptions (2000-2003)

Do you know if there are problems with the network? Access is extremely sensitive to network hiccups. If the network connection gets lost while something is being written to the database, that might well cause corruption. A while back we had a problem with a database in the office where I work; it could be traced to two users, so it was first thought that it was something they did that wasn't handled correctly by the database, but in the end it turned out that the network segment they were on was flaky.
    Have you split the database into a backend with only tables, and a frontend with all else (preferably a local copy for each user)? If not, see WendellB's tutorial Why Split a Database?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't investigated the network yet, although it did pop into my head. I'll have to have our server people look into that. Thanks for the info on database splitting. That may help the situation.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Absolutely look into splitting the database and giving each user a copy of the frontend on their local drive. Multiple users of a single database is one of the biggest causes of corruption.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.