New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening another Database (Access XP)

I've created two hyperlinks on a form which when clicked should open different databases (see attached). All users have the same access level, some users can open one DB, some can open both and I can not open any of the two when I click the links. I am the only user that has both Access XP and Access 2003 installed on my PC, every user has Access XP installed on their PCs. Does having two different Access versions installed be a problem? Is there some Reference which should be turned on or off?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening another Database (Access XP)

Did all the users have full access to the directories where the database are ?
    What format have the databases 2003, 2002 or 2000 ?
    Can you open the database directly from in the explorer ?
    Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I could be mistaken, but it doesn't look like a references problem to me. If it were, the database would be opened ans something would then go wrong. But the error message states that the file can't be opened. Are you sure that all users have modify permissions (read/write/create/delete) in the folders containing the databases? (N.B. these are Windows permissions, not Access permissions)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am sure all users have the same access. And, yes I can go to the folder and open the databases individually and both open without any problems.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you can open the databases from Windows Explorer but not from the links you created, it is certainly not a references problem. Just grsasping at straws here:
    - Do all the users have a J: drive that points to the correct server/share?
    - Are you sure that the path in the hyperlinks is exactly correct?
    - Does the problem persist if you delete and re-create the hyperlinks from scratch?

New Lounger
    Thanks

All users have rights to the folder on the J: drive...actually the hyperlinks point to a sub folder within the folder where the main database is located. I've recreated the hyperlinks several times and tried buttons and macros etc. but nothing seems to work. Yes, the path is correct, as I mentioned some users can open one or both of the databases and some others can not when they click on the hyperlink.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I'm stumped.

As an alternative, you could put command buttons on the form that call the API function ShellExecute to open the databases. See <post#=373949>post 373949</post#>. No idea whether it will work for you, since I can't explain the error you get, but it might be worth a try.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds like it might be an issue of the individual machine setups. Is everyone running the same anti-virus, anti-spyware, windows/office service packs, etc? Do the hyperlinks work if you hold down the Ctrl key when you click them?
    Charlotte