2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sending email (Outlook 2003)

Hello, I think I'm going crazy. I was just working on Outlook 2003 at a friends computer trying to send an email. When I go to the File menu there is NO option "New Email message" yet I figured out another way. Once the email window is open I type in the addr. but when I wanted to send it THERE IS NO send button!!!! Am I going nuts? I looked everywhere, cusomize toolbars, under options nothing. Has anyone else has this experience?? Where is that send button??????????? I click on save and then, of course, it goes to the "Drafts" folder. Your help is GRATLY apreciated. Thank you so much. Tira

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sending email (Outlook 2003)

When you go to the Inbox and select the menu VIEW, TOOLBARS... what is checked? And when you are in an email message and select the menu VIEW, TOOLBARS...What is checked? Is the default for email format set to HTML, Rich Text, or Plain Text? Lastly, is Outlook set to use Word as the email editor?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The toolbars checked are Standard and Formating and, if I remember right, the same ones when I'm in a New Message. I've tried the different settings, HTML and Rich Text - no difference as well as selecting/deselecting Word as the editor. My friend just told me that she hasn't set up an email account yet. Could that be the problem?? Also, can she use AOL for POP3 and SMTP? Does anyone know if AOL provides that? I thought they don't.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you're in any Outlook mail folder Ctrl+N will start a new message. Alt+S (slightly less easy to remember) will send it for you. HTH
    Gre

Thanks

<hr>My friend just told me that she hasn't set up an email account yet. Could that be the problem??<hr>
    Yes. If no account has been set up, no mail server has been defined. Without this information (as well as your friend's e-mail address), no messages can be sent or received.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the keyboard shortcuts. I know they are helpful and I do use them all the time, however, as I always try to find out WHY something isn't the way it is I like to know the "proper" way as well.

I will try to set up an account and see if that makes a difference, i.e. if the "Send" button actually comes up. Thanks for all the help. Tira

2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Tira, I had almost the same thing happen when using Attachment Executive and synching my Ipaq with OL. I had to uninstall AE and reinstall OL to get my send button and new email buttons back - & I don't think the keyboard shortcuts worked either - it has to be some corruption of the profile which leaves OL thinking it's in "non-email" configuration...
    So I can't tell you why it's happened - but I can comfort you that you're not alone nor crazy. (I can tell you I am sure glad to find someone else with the same symptoms at last!)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I also had these very same problems. I bought a new laptop with a "trial version" of Office 2003 installed on it (good for thirty days or something). I had my own never-even-opened-the-box-yet version of Office 2003, so I simply installed that. What a mess - all those problems you mention. I never could get Outlook 2003 to behave properly. I tried a lot of things and the final solution is that I had to uninstall Outlook 2003 and install Outlook 2000 - (and, while I no longer remember the sequence - I remember that it mattered which program was installed first).

-cynthia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 17-Jan-05 13:08. Sorry, Rebel, somehow I didn't see your reply.)</P>If your friend has not yet set up an e-mail account that is DEFINITELY a problem, see <!mskb=297863>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 297863<!/mskb>. Her ISP should be able to provide setup instructions for the e-mail account.

Regarding other posts in this thread, for other problems with Outlook's TB's and buttons, assuming that you have access to the full installation source, I would probably uninstall the product, clean out its remnants with Regseeker, and then reinstall.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the answers. Now that an email account has been set up it seems to work just fine (maybe I shouldn't say that too loud yet:-P). If I would need to uninstall OL 2003 going back to OL XP I believe that could be a problem - yes?? Cynthia, could you get your previous version to work ok? Did you still have all your email/contacts/tasks etc. or did you back up (if so - how?) all the info you had in OL 2003??

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The file structure of a pst file in Outlook 2003 is not the same as in the earlier versions.
    If you want to use your Outlook 2003 data in an earlier version, you have to create a new pst file with the old structure and copy all your data in it.
    Go to File / New / Outlook Data File.
    Choose Outlook 97-2000 Personal Folders File (.pst) and click OK
    Follow the rest of the wizard and when finished, copy all the data into the new Personal folder. This pst file will be usable with previous versions of Outlook.
    Francois

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Francois, thank you for your help. I did as you said. So, once I install the previous version of Outlook i.e. XP it will automatically look for that .pst file and I should have all the info/data, right? Would that also work if I'd create an "Archive"?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2002 (XP) will not automatically look for the .pst file you created. You can open it using File | Open | Outlook Data File... or import it using File | Import and Export...