4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Google Mediapartners and Robots.txt (IE 6)

Just purchased a new PC and when I click the lounge link in IE6 I am redirected to google media partners. I have no problem accessing the lounge from Netscape on the same PC. I did some looking around and a search on my PC and found some information about robots.txt. I did a validate at a site and it said something like UserAgent: Google-Mediapartners* . I have no idea what robots.txt does or where it is , nor do I know what to do about the problem. Any suggestions? This is way beyond anything I have encountered before.

Carla

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Google Mediapartners and Robots.txt (IE 6)

Can you be more specific about what is "the lounge link"? Is that the link from the main wopr site? Regardless, right-click on the link and select Properties. Highlight the resultant address and Copy it. Paste it here -- even if you think will not help.

Also, what happens where you enter "www.wopr.com/lounge" on the address bar? To where are you taken?

Robots.txt seems like somthing that is utilitized by a web server to assist search engines:

(quoted from [http://www.searchengineworld.com/robots/robots_tutorial.htm)
    Search engines will look in your root domain for a special file named "robots.txt" (http://www.mydomain.com/robots.txt). The file tells the robot (spider) which files it may spider (download). This system is called, The "Robots Exclusion Standard".

Where did you come across anything about robots.txt? Your paragraph mentions the redirect to "google media partners", then you mention robots.txt -- how are these two connected??

There is more info on robots.txt here. This again is talking about something on a web server that gives instructions to Search Engine Robots. I don't initially see how this fits into your redirect problem.

I think we first need to know where the "lounge link" to which you are referring to is. Otherwise, PERHAPS this is some variation on a Search HiJack, but the facts don't all make sense. Can I buy a vowel?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I get the same result if I go to www.wopr.com and click on Woody's Lounge, or if i type www.wopr.com/lounge in the addtess bar.
    This is the address I end up at http://www.google.com/search?q=Mediapartners-Google
    This is the address from right clicking on the link and selecting properties http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/wwwthreads.pl

I did a search on the internet for Google media partners and that is where I got the information about robots.txt. I did a search on my PC and got a web page with a link to validate your robots.txt and when I clicked this is what it said http://www.searchengineworld.com/cgi-bin/robotcheck.cgi
    robots.txt source code for http://www.seoconsultants.com/robots.txt
    Line Code
    1 # robots.txt for http://www.seoconsultants.com/
    2 # Last modified: 2004-12-19T10:15:00-0800
    4 User-agent: Mediapartners-Google*
    5 Disallow:
    7 User-agent: Googlebot-Image
    8 Disallow: /
    10 User-agent: *
    11 Disallow: /_private/
    12 Disallow: /admin/
    13 Disallow: /bin/
    14 Disallow: /dev/
    15 Disallow: /images/
    16 Disallow: /jobs/_archive/
    17 Disallow: /just-say-no/images/
    18 Disallow: /js/
    19 Disallow: /nav/
    20 Disallow: /reviews/
    21 Disallow: /statistics/2002/
    22 Disallow: /statistics/2003/
    23 Disallow: /statistics/2004/
    24 Disallow: /text/
    25 Disallow: /webservices/
    I have no idea how the site got this information I just see the line for mediapartners?
    I believe this is the same problem as the previous HiJack post. I did not see a resolution.
    Sony says I have spy ware on my new PC. They had run a spyware scan, no spyware was detected.
    I also did a full system restore and same problem, Only different thhing I see with this PC that others I use is Sony included the google toolbar in Internet Explerer and made Google the default search. I already tried removing the google toolbar and searching the registry for google entries and deleting them. No luck.

Carla

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Got it. Thank you for the details, Carla. On the surface this seems very complicated, but like all problems, there must be an easy answer. Now to find it. :-]

So... let me make sure I have it straight. CLICKING a given link leads to "http://www.google.com/search?q=Mediapartners-Google", yet the Properties of that SAME link says the address is " http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/wwwthreads.pl"? This sounds rather illogical and barely believable, but such is computer life.

Google Media Partners seems to be related to the "Google Adsense robot" -- which, I suspect is somehow related to the Google ads that *wopr* uses. (I never see them because my computer is locked down too tight). However, I suspect the fact that wopr uses Goodle Ads, and the fact that you are being directed to a Google Ad site is just too many coincidences for this to be random...

First, please do the following things:

1) Clear out your TIF: Tools | Internet Options | Temporary Internet Files | Delete files
    2) Clear out your History: Tools | Internet Options | History | Clear History.

See if the problem still exists. It will, but this process will at least eliminate easy solutions. Next:

1) Hold down the "Windows" key (between Ctrl and Alt) and push the "R" key. In the resultant Run box type "cmd" (no quote) and hit Enter.
    2) In the resultant "DOS Window" (Command Console) type "ipconfig /flushdns" (no quotes) and hit Enter.

See again if this fixes the problem. It won't, but we still need to exclude stupid things. If the TIF, History, and the DNS cache are all cleared -- and the problem still exists, then something weird is definitely happening. And I suspect it is! But let's clear these simple things out of the way first.

Oh, to back track... You said you tried to remove the Google Toolbar, but had no luck. Hmmm... Google Toolbar is a "Browser Helper Object" and that can do un-expected things to IE. Please clarify, could you remove the Google Toolbar? If not, we need to extract that just to be on the safe side. The many Google references here are starting to add up...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

At the risk of prying, two things (so far) remain questions in mind. Why is it necessary for the OP to keep the robots.txt file on her machine? Is there any mileage in trying to delete item 13? HTH
    Gre

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

At work during the day today, but will start eliminating posibilities from your suggestions as soon as I get home this evening. Again I really appreaciate the help. It is really discouraging to have purchased a new PC and have problems right out of the box.
    Carla

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

While the Wopr/Google connection sounds suspicious, so does the google toolbar. This is the first report I recall seeing of this kind of problem with the Lounge, so I would suggest a closer look at the toolbar.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi All,

I have removed the google toolbar successfully from add and remove programs, cleared the temporary internet files, flushed the DNS. Still having the same problem.
    So some things eliminated. Thank you for your continued assistance, I continue to look for the answer

Carla

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Have you checked to see if something strange is in your hosts file? Look in C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetc for the 'hosts' with no extension. You can open it with Notepad as it is just a text file.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Only line that is not remarked out in the hosts file is:
    127.0.0.1 localhost

Carla

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Is XP SP-2 installed? Do you have a firewall and A/V running? See <post#=206439>post 206439</post#> for more information about spyware/malware removal. Is your system up-to-date with patches from Windows Update? Are you still in a position to restore the PC from scratach?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I have XP Service Pak 2 installed. I also have AV and firewall. This is a new PC (3days old) and first thing I did was install virus protection. I also did a full system restore and continue to have the same problem. This PC has had this problem from the first use. I think for that reason that a virus or spy ware to be not likley. I also have Microsoft's spyware scan and ran it last night and it found nothing. Also ran a Norton scan with all the current updates and it did not find anything either.
    Carla

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi All,

I am not sure what I did, but it is working now, I uninstalled a utility that comes with a Vaio PC that is called Internet Connections and I also sent a screen capture and the lounge link to the google support team earlier this evening. I don't think I have done anything else. If I have any follow up from Google or see anything else I will post back.

Thank you all for all of your suggestions. Something finally worked so for that I am grateful.

Carla

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting. I don't find any reference to a separate "Internet Connections" program on a Vaio -- eh, at least not by using Google! ;-]

And my foggy memory is that Windows uses that name for its "Internet Connection Wizard" sometimes, yet I can find no reference to that on the computer at which I am presently sitting. :-[

So, I am not sure exactly what program it is that you removed. Regardless, I have a difficult time reconciling this as a DNS issue -- since the main wopr site was resolved correctly. It appears to me that the lounge is just a "branch" off of the main site, so it would not have its own separate numerical IP address.

A lot of people use the Google toolbar without redirection issues, and my belief is that the Google toolbar does NOT have advertisements related to it. (I have never used it, but I have never heard complaints about it advertising merchandise to users). So, if it does not use advertisements, I would have a difficult time rationalizing why it would need to contact the "Adsense" server. If it does, then I would suspect that questions would come up about it being "Spyware" or "Adware" -- and so far, I have not seen that as an issue.

As to how this might related to the Google Ads on the Lounge -- I remain equally befuddled. This certainly has not come up before and it is NOT likely a problem that could be pinned on the lounge. Instead, some "security" program or some IE "add-on" might have been interfering with the functionality of IE. Somehow the retreival of the Lounge page may have been disrupted or interfered with, and the downloading of the Google Ads may have inadvertantly triggered the redirection.

I don't believe the robots.txt file exists on the user's machine. That would be easy to verify. The description was that, "I did a search on my PC and got a web page." That would likely be in the TIF (I have to suspect). And that COULD, in theory, be related to the retrieval of the advertisements by the lounge.

After saying all that, I can find NO page in the lounge today that has Google Ads! I am not on my home system, so I don't think this box is as locked down as mine. I still don't see the Ads. Has the lounge stopped using them, or can some one post a link to a page that DEFINITELY has ads on it?? Thanks.

So, I am very happy your computer is fixed! :-] But I remain unsatisfied that we have found the solution. As long as the problem never comes up again, I guess it matters not! Good luck.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

R2,

I would agree with all that you have written in your previous post. You are correct as I continued to look robots.txt does not exist on a users PC. I also do not think this is an issue with the lounge or with the Google toolbar. I could not say for sure, but I suspect that something that Sony did with this build when they added google search, or some other items is the culprit. I could see a screen that said click here to enter the lounge flash quickly before I was redirected to Mediapartmers when I manually typed the address in the address bar. I also would think this is similar to spyware or adware behavior, but again unlikly as I got the same behavior after doing a full system retore. I find not knowing what the problem is unsatisfactory. I am glad I am able to get to the lounge, but I would like to know what the problem was. I don't see any history of this occurance anywhere else. If I do find any answers I will post back. Again thank you for your help.
    Carla