Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting Word Document

The following bug seems to be common to Office 2000 and its previous incarnation.

Take an Excel spreadsheet and insert a blank Word document into it (Insert/Object/Word). Type a few words in the Word object document and then click on the spreadsheet to return to Excel. Select the Word document and press delete to delete it. Press Undo in Excel to bring back it back. Although the inserted Word object still appears the same and the words are still there, it cannot now be edited as double clicking just brings up the Format picture menu. It appears that it has ceased to be a Word object and is now a picture object.

Any solutions please? This is driving my more ham fisted friends mad in the office where I work.

John, (frustrated from Sheffield UK!)

Star Lounger
    Hemel and/or Luton, UK, Hertfordshire, England
    Thanks

Re: Inserting Word Document

Sorry, I don't have anything like a solution for you, but simply some into that may extend the thought process for anyone trying to solve it.

Firstly, this problem is not limited to inserting a word document. Pick any item (I have tried Excel Worksheet, Paint Shop Pro Drawing, AutoCad Drawing, Bitmap Image etc) on the "Insert...Object" menu and do as you described (i.e. delete it, then undo to get it back) and the thing you get back seems to be a picture not whatever it started as!

Secondly, if you do the same thing in Word, it all works beautifully and the objects retain their links (or whatever) even after being deleted and undone.

Thirdly, this problem also exists in Office XP!

Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting Word Document

Thanks for comments. At least I know it is not me going senile! Looks as if my collegues will have to learn to avoid the delete key!