Lounger
    Thanks

Using a Recordset to Populate continuous forms (Access 2003)

I have a master form that is populated via a recordset. The master form has a subform setup as continuous forms since the relationship is one to many and there can be many detail records to each master record. Since my master form is populated via a recordset, it gives the user the opportunity to change variables and see the result before actually saving the changes to the table. However since I haven't been successful in figuring out how to populate the subform via a recordset, it doesn't provide the same functionality, and is currently bound to a query.

Does anyone know if it's possible to populate a continuous form via a recordset, and be able to edit the data within each record?
    I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks!
    Rich

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using a Recordset to Populate continuous forms (Access 2003)

You can't use an unbound continuous or datasheet form. You could save the recordset to a temporary table and bind the continuous form to this temp table. You'd have to find a way to save the data from the temp table, then repopulate it when the user moves to another record in the main form.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Using a Recordset to Populate continuous forms (Access 2003)

Another option would be to de-link the subform from the main form, and as the recordset changes records, nd populate the continous form with a SQL statement that selects the appropriate subset of linked records. Taking either approach however represents the path of "most resistance" and will result in performance hits since everything has to be done in VBA. Is there a compelling reason to make either form unbound? We use bound forms in all cases unless complex data validation is required while adding records to multiple tables, or if it is necessary to uses transactions.
    Wendell