Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel saying Query not installed (Excel 200 sr1)

I can run saved database queries but when I try to create a new one I get an error saying that MS Query is not installed. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Office but It's still not working. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel saying Query not installed (Excel 200 sr1)

MS Query is part of MS Office, but it is not installed if you perform a standard installation. Run the Office setup again, specify that you want to customize your installation and look for MS Query under the Data options.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel saying Query not installed (Excel 200 sr

Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

I have Excel 2000 SP3 & Windows XP Home

When I go to Data | Get External Data | Run Saved Query I can imort data from an Access database into an Excel worksheet. Wheh I go to Data | Get External Data | New Database Query after a delay a message appears to tell me that MS Query is not installed. MSQRY32.EXE is in the Office folder & I have reinstalled it by renaming it to .old & running the Add/Remove facility in the Office installer to no avail.

I have searched the MSKB & found an article at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;179686

that refers to this problem but in Microsoft Excel 98 Macintosh Edition. Nevertheless I have tried the resolutions from the article again to no avail. When trying to start MS Query by double-clicking MSQRY32.EXE apart from the display blinking MS Query does not open. Task Manager both in applications & processes does not show that it is running.

Can you add anything to the reply you made to Bill last January?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If Help | Detect and Repair doesn't help either, the only other suggestion I have is to completely uninstall and reinstall Office, and to make sure that MS Query is included in the reinstall.
    But perhaps someone else has a less drastic solution.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

From my reading elsewhere on the Internet it would appear that Detect & Repair will not change the situation. In fact I omitted in my first message to mention that I had tried D&R without any change in the behaviour I was experiencing.

This behaviour does appear to be a known issue so I will continue my search for a solution.

As always my thanks for your response.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Since my last message I have been searching & asking whoever, wherever & whenever & have eventually found a work-a-round. I happen to have MS Works on my system & on the suggestion of Kay Ewbank of Computer Shopper (UK) I used the files MSQRY32.EXE & QRYINT32.DLL from Works to replace the files of the same name in MS Office. I now can access MS Query in MS Excel 2000 through Data | Get External Data | New Database Query. The two files have the same name but different date/time stamps & volumes in each suite.

I just love Microsoft! {8;-))

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'm glad your problem is solved!