3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HP dvd movie writer

Need some sound advice here. I would like to buy the latest model movie writer that HP puts out. Its the HP DVD Movie Writer model DC5000. My computer is running WinXP Home SP2 and I have lots of memory (500 plus) and hard drive space. My purpose is to transfer miles of VHS tapes to disc. This unit seems to be able to do the job. My primary question is what type of DVD discs should I buy and what is the difference between DVD +R and DVD-R and DVD Ram. I know the basic difference tween R and RW and will probably start with some RW types + or -- ???? while I learn. I have heard that some types work better when playing back on Home DVD players. Any info from someone familiar with this type of unit would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks

Re: HP dvd movie writer

Pat,
    Google on "dvd disk types". There are many many very informative articles here which can probably answer most of your questions. Good luck with the new drive.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I am a huge fan of Plextor DVD drives; I think the price/performance ratio is perfect. My experience with HP is that you pay for the name and get essentially the same product. In this case, you're looking at an external unit, so that adds more to the final cost.

However, it's not the unit you use to create these discs that is so much a concern as it is the disc itself. Personally, I use DVD-R discs and burn them at single speed when they are intended to be used in a consumer DVD player. Purchase quality media for your permanent storage needs and avoid no-name or unknown brands, as the cheap factor is definitely in play here (you get what you pay for).

Forget DVD RAM, it's not of any use for creating movies. You might want to practice on a re-writable disc to learn how to create them, but don't expect stellar results in a DVD player; rewritable media reflects less light and is more likely to result in an unreadable disc.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys. I should have thought of going the Google route. There is lots of good info there. I'll start with the minus (-) versions first. I'll let you know how the Drive works out but that may be a few weeks down the road.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As a follow-up from my 16 Jan post.. I am now using an HP dc4000 DVD Movie Writer. It is a GREAT piece of hardware. For anyone looking to make VCR tapes into DVD discs I would highly recommend this unit. For details on what it will do either use Google or go to the HP website. DVD discs either the - (minus) or the + (plus) versions seem to work equally well in either the Write only or Re Write versions.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the follow-up. Glad to hear about your success!
    -Mark