Lounger
    Thanks

Shared Templates (PPT 2000)

It's easy to set up network folders and apply user settings in Excel and Word to point to those folders so that both local and shared templates will appear when you choose New from the File menu.
    But I can't find a way to do this in PowerPoint. If you save your templates to the "Presentation Designs" folder, you can easily access them from any presentation by double-clicking on the Status Bar., so ideally, I'd like a shared Presentation Designs folder.
    Can someone light the way for me?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shared Templates (PPT 2000)

All Office applications use the same Workgroup Templates path , but Word is the only application in which you can set it (the alternative is to set it in the Windows Registry). So if a user specifies a shared folder as Workgroup Templates path in the File Locations tab of Tools | Options... in Word, PowerPoint will use this shared folder too, and merge it with the User Templates folder in the General tab of the File | New dialog.

Lounger
    Thanks

HansV,
    I had to do some re-wiring, so have been off-line for a bit.
    Thanks for your response.
    Yes, but, if you want to help users to do things the best way, like using templates, you have to make it easy. Telling them to go to File, New when starting a new presentation is perfect, but what about applying a template to an existing presentation? The user has a bewildering array of folders and terms: "Presentation Designs", "Presentations", "Design Templates" and the brilliantly-named "1033" from which to choose, and now we have to add the location of the shared templates. That's 5 different folders! In Word and Excel, once it's set up, knowing where the templates are is not necessary. And for those looking after the templates, that's a good thing. Double-clicking on the Status bar to change the template is perfect, if only there were a way to direct that double-click!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that the Browse dialog for applying another template to an existing presentation is not very user-friendly. You could send a request to Microsoft (e-mail to mswish@microsoft.com, mention PowerPoint in the subject).

An alternative is to put a shortcut to the shared templates folder in the user templates folder, or to add it to Favorites. That way, you don't have to hunt for the shared templates folder.