Star Lounger
    Thanks

More on Mail Merge (Win XP and Office 2003)

I am about ready to pull what is left of my hair out over this. I need to make some name tags for an upcoming meeting. I created a Word Document with a table. The cells in the table match the size of my tags (4" x 3"). Each page contains 6 tags. I have designed my logo and all the appropriate fields in the first cell of my table. My data source (an excel spread sheet) contains all the appropriate data.

I inserted a "next record" field into the other five cells in my table. When I use the "Merge data into new document" function, Page 1 contains the data from Record 1, the rest of the page is blank. Page 2, cell one contains the data from Record 7. Page 3, cell one contains the data from Record 13.

Any suggestions. At this point I am all ears and no hair.

Thank you in advance.
    Larry P

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: More on Mail Merge (Win XP and Office 2003)

You also need to have the merge fields for each table cell - the 2003 merge feature has a command button that fills each cell with the contents of the first cell, and as I recall also puts in the Next Record field. You can see how this works by using the mailing label wizard to do a merge.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried that without success. All the cells of my table (other than the 1st) contain a (next record) code. Why the next record isn't showing up there I don't know. I tried doing a brand new blank sheet of labels. I then copied and pasted my text and graphics into the first cell. That seemed to work except rather than inserting the graphics only in Cell 1, it made the sheet 3 columns wide. My paper is only 2 columns wide.

Any other ideas? At this point I will try most anything.

Larry P

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you attach your merge document? If it's over 100 KB, zip it up. Remove proprietary information if necessary.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word after Word 2000 "improved" the mail merge process and to me, made it much more difficult.
    I have 2 suggestions- use the Mail Merge toolbar instead of the menus and add one icon to this toolbar- "Insert Merge Field". To add an icon right click in an empty area of a toolbar and go to "Customize". Select the Commands tab and in the left side select Mail Merge and on the right side select the icon that you want and drag it to the place in the toolbar where you want it to appear. (This is not necessary in Word 97 or Word 2000 since this icon is already there.)

Use the toolbar to insert your fields in the order that you want and do your merge. One of the icons in the toolbar is propagate which will fill the rest of the fields when you merge.

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Let me suggest you use the Mail Merge Wizard to do this. Select Labels as the kind of merge in Step 1. In Step 2, click Label Options and select Avery standard 5384 - Name Badge as your type of label. In the next step (3), select your Excel workbook as your data source. That will put a <<Next Record>> field in all but the first cell of the table (label). Then in Step 4 do the Arrange your labels, and you will see several choices, including More Items... - pick that choice and it displays a list of the field names in your Excel workbook. Select those fields that you want and click the Insert button for each that you select. Once you have done that, you will see those fields displayed in double brackets, for example <<FirstName>>. On the right hand side in the Wizard you will see a button that says Update all labels - when you click that, whatever you have placed in the first label will be copied to the other five labels. I've included a sample I created from an Outlook attachment that shows what you should expect at that point. Note however, that you want to do all formatting of fonts and so forth befoe you click the command button. Once that is done you should be good to go.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for all the suggestions. I finally got the problem worked out. I basically started from scratch this time and it seemed to work. I also think I know what was going on when my page of labels was being made 3 columns wide. What I was doing (without realizing it) was copying not just the first cell; but, the entire column.

Again, thanks all for the help.

Larry P