Thread: windows hangup

logross

windows hangup

I have a Gateway select AMD 1000 Windows 98 GoBack software
    Sometimes the computer just freezes and when this happens the only thing to do is to shutdown and reboot using the button on conputer. After going through shot ScanDisk the icons appear briefly and then we get such messages as "the volume that was removed had open files on it". This requires (if it works) the control alt del to restart. Sometimes the restart then works correctly and sometimes one must use the GoBack software (always losing some data). I downloaded from Gateway a fix which is supposed to take care of the problem with Windows 98 regarding the hangup. Since I hate finally making a career out of reformatting, etc. I have taken to leaving the computer running, but, even then, sometimes when I attempt to use it in the morning, I find that the darn thing has frozen (i.e. can't comunicate through mouse or keyboarad). I wonder if I am the only one with this problem.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: windows hangup

could goback (or other utilities) be what's causing the hangs?

logross

Yes, I have considered this as a possibility although I have never reinstalled Windows, etc. without the GoBack. However, I do know that Microsoft did have a fix for Windows 98 not shutting down and/or hanging up. Although I obtained the fix from Gateway Microsoft had the idential fix. Yes, there is no question that other software could be the problem. However, again into history. When the ADM 1000 Thuderbird was first installed on Gateway computers it was noted that this hangup could occur. Gateway didn't consider it to be the ADM but instead thought it might be a mother board problem. In fact they delayed shipping the computer for about two weeks, supposedly because of this "not admitted" problem. I just have difficulty in believing that I am the only one with this idential problem. Going to GoBack, it is such a useful program that I truly hate to be without it, or, putting it another way, the reformat and reinstallation are so time consuming that I haven't tried it. In general the software which I have installed consists of Microsoft Office and Corel 2000 office, along with Borland C++ (5.01) and (4.01). Back in my younger days I used to write C and C++ software programs for use with golfing and country club bookkeeping. I still like to do some programming albeit now more like a drunkard's walk, i.e. two steps forward and one back or sideways.

Edylynn

I can't "live" without Goback--it is not the cause. Just went through a major crash. I had no "hangup" problems until I started getting back my internet things! Then they started again. I can always tell that it is going to be bad by playing Spider Solitare (from Winidows 98 Plus!)--if there are going to be crashes it crashes or hangs the computer up in less than 15 minutes--which is a lot less time than putting back my lost data! So this time after each and every program install I played Spider. Some internet add ons made the problem worse (I suspect they eat the RAM and the virtual memory). Decided I could live without some of them. Much better and Go Back is great--but I don't loose much data--must be I save too often.

logross

This brings up a question. I have considered the possibility that the hangups relate to Netscape Communicator. When the hangups occur for you, are you using Netscape Communicator 4.6 or 6.0? If so, do you find that the problem would disappear if one used outlook and IE? instead? I happen to use Netscape for my email but I have wondered if the hangups could be due to it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 98 has a shutdown problem. You are not alone.

Ever since the latest release of Windows 98 there have been complaints about the failure of the computer to fully shut down. This has been a problem since Windows 95 but it's particularly bad with Windows 98 Second Edition.

There's a confusing set of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on the subject, but the main one is Q238096 http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q238/0/96.ASP that has a series of possible resolutions for you to work through. Plus there's a 508k shutdown patch http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloa...8SE/Default.asp for Windows 98 SE from Microsoft.

There's also a useful set of tips available from Jim Eshelman
    http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/Khephra/index.htm; the shutdown article is at
    http://members.xoom.com/Khephra/a/shtdwnse.htm or http://members.xoom.com/Khephra/shutdown.htm
    that you can try. As Microsoft has noted, any suggestion to replace the CONFIGMG.VXD file should be ignored -- replacing .VXD or other key system files manually is only for the brave or reckless.

Hope this helps.

Edylynn

I run AOL, IE5.0 so that may not be any better! My problems seemed to be related to addons like Gozilla! and things like that. Gator works fine. Some media players made it worse, some not so bad. Winamp seems to be OK, but Windows Media Player just was awful--if I didn't use the mouse at all it was better than using the mouse, but if you don't know all those shortcuts it is a royal pain. Here is what I have done to ease the problem to an irritation instead of a disaster. Whenever I leave the computer I reboot before I go! That way everything is backed up by GoBack and I don't have to worry. If I want to play games I save everything first. If I notice that response to the mouse is slowing down I take a break and do some stretching exercises--good for both of us. Whatever the bottleneck in the memory seems to clear up if given a chance. My suspects are Norton taking snapshots of my hard disk to prevent a crash, or even Goback taking a snapshot for restoration added to my use of the computer makes for some sort of bottleneck. As soon as I recover financially from upgrading my harddisk and replacing the CD with a CD R/W I am upgrading to at least 128 megs of RAM. If it is a use of memory problem that should help. Time will tell, but trying to fix things is either a pain or fun--so make it fun!

logross

Just a brief response. With this machine I have 256 of RAM. It does seem to use up a lot just for the small number of things which are running. When looking at System Performance sometimes I have only about 55-65 % available. However when the hangups occur, (I think) there is always more than 50% still avilable.

logross

Gateway now include Norton Virus software as part of the installed package. I tried to use the other Norton products once (trial basis) and I rather promptly got into the condition whee I had to reformat. Gateway "techs" informed me that perhaps Norton products are not compatible (interesting). Everyone wants to blame the other guy.