New Lounger
    Thanks

SP2 upgrading question (XP Home SP1)

I've finally decided to do the SP2 installation, and just got the CD in the mail from Microsoft.
    I decided that this might be as good a time as any to do a fresh installation of XP (something that I've never done before). So I've got my data now saved off the hard drive, and am about ready to go.

My question is: after I install my original Windows XP home CD, is the SP2 upgrade CD installed next? Or is Windows going to expect to first get a SP1 patch? I guess what I'm asking is are all those SP1 fixes embedded in the SP2 upgrade?

Also, any tips, or links to tips, on doing this procedure for a non-expert user? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: SP2 upgrading question (XP Home SP1)

SP2 is cumulative and contains all the SP1 patches. If you have the full SP2 CD - and it sounds like you have - it will contain all you need.

And search through this forum will bring up various tips, otherwise:
    MSKB 875364: Detailed installation walkthrough for Windows XP Service Pack 2

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Service Pack 2 is a cumulative update and there will be no need to apply SP1 first.

If you intend to do a clean installation, I suggest that you integrate SP2 into your Windows installation to save yourself having to install it separately. There is an excellent guide on this process at http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

After installing Windows with SP2, I would next install any antivirus, spyware scanners, and firewall software.

I take this a step further and add all of the drivers for my machine onto the CD as well. This way, I can install XP with SP2 in one fell swoop, leave the CD in the drive, and update all of my drivers with ease. For that matter, you can also add other things onto the CD -- such as Acrobat Reader, Macromedia Flash, and anything else that is more or less necessary but not included with Windows proper.

Make sure that you run Windows Update after you apply all of the changes to your fresh installation. You are bound to find a slew of updates.

Hope that helps!
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would install Windows, then install your drivers for your mainoard, chipset, video, and anything else crucial. Then install SP2, then install your security utilities (firewall, anti-malware, etc.), and then get online and do an windows updates, and then install apps and utilities.

If you want a (possibly) fun challenge, you could create your own Windows SP2 "slipstreamed" OS disc:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/w...sp2-bootcd.html

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why is everyone continuing to recommend these slipstreaming links that use ISOBuster, when <!post=AutoStreamer,,402949>AutoStreamer<!/post> recommended by <!profile=Pilgrim>Pilgrim<!/profile> some time ago is so much easier?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Dunno Al, I guess old habits die hard. I slipstream in this manner because I've been doing it ever since Windows 2000 introduced slipstreaming, so it's second nature. Admittedly, I haven't tried AutoStreamer so I don't know if it allows me the liberty of adding all the extras I like to include...plus, I typically set it up as a scripted, unattended install so that I don't even have to install the drivers manually. I guess what I'm saying is that it affords me the extra control that I like.

Edited to add:
    The link in Pilgrim's post no longer works, but I found a new URL for AutoStreamer: http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Uh Oh, maybe I shoulda just bit my tongue. The author may be monkeying around with Autostreamer 'cause your replacement link doesn't work either Mark. I'll go back later and try again, just in case.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 889 Posts

Al,

Check here: Neowin.net -> AutoStreamer Official Thread (v 1.0.32). I got it from here last night. Haven't yet had a chance to 'play'. Maybe this evening.

Note: be sure to look at the last page of the thread for version 1.0.33

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for help, as usual Joe! The only reason I was touting AutoStreamer rather than ISOBuster is that when SP2 first came out and we were having discussions here in this board about it, I first used ISOBuster and got a GOOD slipstreamed SP2 disk. When AutoStreamer was brought up, I tried it also and it was an easier process, so I thought I'd mention it for Mark Rochefort's benefit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 889 Posts

Al, you're quite welcome. In a brief look at AutoStreamer it seemed very easy and straight forward. Anything that makes computing life easier is good in my book. Thanks for pointing it out.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Uh, Coze I just googled "Slipstream windows XP service pack 2" and reported the first link <g>

Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Autostreamer has a feature that allows you to add or change files just before it creates the ISO image. I have been using it for a while and can wholeheartedly recommend it.

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds good to me. Does it allow creation of ISO images that are larger than a CD? I'm getting to a point where I am considering creating a boot DVD that has it all, instead of a CD.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've never tried, but I suspect it does let you create oversize ISO images. I've always been careful to keep within the available size of a CD so I don't know if it does any last minute checks.

StuartR