3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Help files - some work some don't

I'm running Win 2000 SP4 with all the latest security updates (except for outlook which I don't use). For IE (which I generally do not use - prefer FireFox) MS kind of insisted on installing IE6, and it too is up-to-date, as far as Windows Update is concerned.

My problem is with Help files in Windows. The basic help works okay generally ... but when the help window shows some links for more information, usually they come up with the standard "the page cannot be displayed" etc. etc. window. For some other programs Windows help works okay, but for some that "the page cannot be displayed" message is the only one I get.

Any ideas

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Windows Help files - some work some don't

Please be more specific about which programs are failing? This does not seem like and OS problem if basic Windows help works fine.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Windows help files don't ALL work ... as I said in my original post "The basic help works okay generally ... but when the help window shows some links for more information, usually they come up with the standard "the page cannot be displayed" etc. etc. window. .. For example, when in the help menu, I click on Add Remove programs overview .. a help window comes up. In the middle of that is a link to further information ... "related topics". Click on that, and the "page cannot be displayed." This is just an example ... this happens with every secondary help file window for Windows itself. ... Problems with the help files for other programs may be an internal problem for the programs themselves, or it could, I think, possibly be related to this problem.

Al

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Give us a screen shot of the help that you are having this problem with.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Some 'Help' files may be links to MS web pages - are you connected to the internet when you try to access them?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sometimes I'm connected, sometimes I'm not. Haven't noticed any difference in reaction. This particular time as shown in the screen capture, came when I clicked on "open control panel".

Al

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Bigaldoc to add: I reduced the size of the screenshot. This is my second edit. I cropped the shot somewhat.

Okay ... this is what the help window looks like when I click on any link in the first help window .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

OK - I'm assuming that at some time you were able to view all your help files.

There are reports that installing some IE security patches can disable some Help files from displaying.
    Does MSKB 811630: HTML Help Update to Limit Functionality When It Is Invoked with the window.showHelp( ) Method shed any more light on the problem?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah ... somewhere back around Sp1 or 2, I seem to remember being able to use the help files as they were intended. Don't really remember where or when the function disappeared. I've mostly given up on Windows help files. Some programs, I think, have been hit by the same bug. I'll take a look at the MS link you gave ... think I have looked there before, but will look again.

Al

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe I'm missing something there, but I don't see anything that will help me out of this problem. Windows update says I have all the critical updates - except one for Outlook, which I don't use anyway. Some suggested updates which don't apply to this.

Al

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

An interesting thing ... while the help files don't work correctly in Win2000, I can access those same help files from another machine on my network which is running Win98SE .. and they are totally readable from there. This applies not only to Windows Help files, but also those help files for certain other programs which have problems showing Help under Win2000.