Thread: Word 2000

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2000

I have just installed Word 2000 and have found, unlike the previous version, two instances of a document load each time I click on the document to load it. The result, when working with several documents is a mass of icons in the status bar!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Word 2000

That's definitely not what's supposed to be happening!

You mention clicking on a document to load it; exactly where are you loading the document from (i.e. Windows Explorer, shortcut on desktop, FileOpen, MostRecentlyUsed List) - maybe there will be a clue there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was asking the question on behalf of a friend who got muddled up with what was happening. What she wants is for the current document open icon to replace the last rather than have 10 or 20 document open icons showing in the task bar. See my rephrased question.

JustCallMeAl

I couldn't see where you rephrased the question.....

In Word 2000, if you open two documents, you will have two instances of Word open (kind of). In other words, if you have two documents open, you will see two buttons on the Task Bar which say they belong to Word.

This is the way Microsoft designed it, and I do not believe there is any work around. I have heard that Word 2002 does not use that "feature."

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi rogerj,

It's by design. You can turn off the behavior in Excel, but not Word. Word 2002 will also give you the option to turn it off.

Romke Soldaat has a Word add-in that will let you emulate the old behavior (all docs in one window). You can download it from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://forums.compuserve.com/gvforums/default.asp?SRV=MSOfficeForum&SEC=7&FID=3675>here</A>.

HTH,

Chris

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Brilliant solution. It works! Thanks very much.