Lounger
    Thanks

TransferSpreadsheet (Access 2003)

I've run into a bug, of sorts. I'm sending out archive back-ups (during import of new data) with "TransferSpreadsheet". I "caste" the new filename with a datestamp (concatenation) and force a ".xls" extension so I end up with the filename looking like this: tblNachaTransactions-1-17-2005at13-6.xls; works fine!! But, inasmuch as it's a temporary file, I can't delete the suckers. Windows reports they're in use by something and I'll be danged if I know what [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] Apparently, NOT Excel, NOT Access... and too old and tired, where do I start looking? Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TransferSpreadsheet (Access 2003)

How are you sending them out? By e-mail? If so, perhaps your e-mail application is the culprit.

Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is simplier than that, Hans. I'm merely creating a multiplicity of *.xls files, where we can review, or print the data before trashing the *.xls file. It's a hard disk file that Dos won't let me delete. Just so I'm clear on this ... Access creates the xls file in a directory I choose; then you get out of Access and inspect the xls file in Excel. Two days later you come back to delete the file... NAHDA ... so here we sit.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It certainly doesn't happen here - we frequently create spreadsheets from Access, mail them, then delete them without problems. Does this persist after restarting the PC? That seems like some kind of glitch at the Windows level.

Lounger
    Thanks

Yup... I did a "cold" shutdown and restart. I agree, seems like WIN XP isn't releasing, but I suspect Access (who generated the TransferSpreadsheet , that may be the ultimate culprit. If Access flags that file as "shared", then Win XP has no choice but to protect the file from a delete. The error says another program is using the file, so that's why I look at Access. I thought you all would have seen that problem before, sorry. BTW... mail, of any sort, has nothing to do with this, trust me!! [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Another possible culprit here could be your anti-virus software. Can you shut it down and see what happens?

Are these by any chance on a network drive? The server, or the anti-virus software on the server might have hold of the files. You may need to restart the server.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Anti-Virus ... that idea sure has merit. It's a stand-alone machine, so the network suggestion is out, but you know, I can disable the Virus software. Let me give that a try and get back to you. Reckon, whatever we find, could be helpful to post here.. This database is getting better than MS Knowledgebase [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]