3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Embedded Excel Object Nightmare (2002)

I have a user who was emailed a Word doc containing an embedded Excel sheet. When she double clicks on the object she gets an error message that reads in part: <font color=blue>This object was created in Excel. This application is not available to open this object.</font color=blue> A new window then appears and shows the Application Server installation progress, which when completed is followed by a Windows Installer Error 1719 error message. Her entire working day is spent working with Excel and so we are fairly certain that <font color=blue>the application is properly installed and that it has not been deleted, moved, or renamed.</font color=blue>

We have tested the Word doc on other computers and can access the embedded Excel object. And so I have:

<UL><LI>Repaired the Office XP Professional installation
    <LI>Deleted (via Add Remove Programs applet) the Office XP Professional installation
    <LI>Reinstalled the Office XP Professional installation
    <LI>Downloaded and installed Office XP Service Pack 3
    <LI>Re-registered the Windows Installer
    <LI>Reinstalled the Windows Installer[/list]Short of starting from scratch with a fresh install of the OS, is there anyone who has seen anything like this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedded Excel Object Nightmare (2002)

This could be due to a conflict between Office and an anti-virus application. The Office Plugin for Norton Anti Virus is notorious for causing problems, and McAfee has something similar, I think. So I would first check whether such a plugin is activated; if so, turn it off. If not, or if it doesn't help, try disabling the virus scanner temporarily to see if it is the culprit.

See Cannot Open Office Documents or Cannot Edit Inserted Objects After You Install Office XP Service Pack 2 or Office 2000 Service Pack 3.

3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

I've also seen Nortons cause a problem with this. Particularly if Norton's decides it's time to do a 'Live Update' to get new virus definitions. So Excel waits while Norton's updates itself, but Excel can time out there with problems like the one you've described.
    Peter

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans & Peter, thanks for the replies. We are running a corporate version of Norton and her machine is set up as a managed user. I did look thru all her settings to see if there was any type of office plug in, nothing found.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried turning off NAV temporarily on her PC?