Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shortcut Keys (2003)

Turn on Customise and have the Toolbar show both Icon and Text for your target command. Insert an "&" (without the quotes) into the text command before your chosen letter. That will make that Letter respond to an Alt+[Letter] command PROVIDED that there is no other command using the same letter. Thus, if you rename your icon to Wid&get, Alt+G will trigger that command. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Sorry - I see I wasn't explicit with my first question (now revised) - I'm talking about a windoze toolbar - not an office or outlook toolbar. The shortcuts work ok from inside outlook but I like to create email and tasks without first turning to outlook. Outlook's always running in the background, but I want to be able to click on ctrl-alt-m from anywhere and get a new mail message.
    I've got a work-around working with macro magic - but don't see why the shortcut keystrokes won't trigger the shortcut icon in windows without a macro app.??

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shortcut Keys (2003)

How do I make a keyboard shortcut to open a new message WHEN OUTLOOK IS NOT IN THE FOREGROUND (or new task for that matter).
    I have always used the office shortcut bar to create outlook items without having to first bring outlook to the foreground. so i can be working in another app and just click on the toolbar button and start typing an email.
    Having lost the shortcut bar, I've created a toolbar folder with icons for each OL item I use regularly, so I thought I'd go further and assign a keyboard shortcut to the new mail and new task shortcuts, but the keystrokes don't work?
    "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE11OUTLOOK.EXE" /c IPM.message
    The shortcuts (or toolbar icons) work well if I double click on them with my mouse, but they don't respond to the keyboard shortcuts that I've assigned in the properties tab of the shortcut itself.
    Anybody able to tell me why not and what to do to make them work?

I've successfully done this to open outlook by assigning shortcut keys to the icon in the start menu, but it just don't wanna work when I add the /c parameters to make it open specific forms.

Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Look at the Properties section of the Windows Shortcut. All of them work (only) with Ctrl+Alt+[your letter]. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yep - like the attached image shows, all I have is ctrl-alt-m as a shortcut for a file that works fine when I double click it with my mouse???

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

My understanding was that you are looking for a way to activate specific part of Outlook using a keyboard shortcut - instead of a mouse. If not, what are you looking for?
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh Boy - sorry I confused you again. (I had to re-write that last message and now I realise I left out the critical point)

You're absolutely correct - I want to make the shortcut file respond to keyboard input as well as mouse clicking.

That file, for which I showed you the properties, does NOT respond when I press <ctrl-alt-m> despite that being entered as the shortcut key for it. (nothing seems to happen when I press those keys.) And I don't understand why not??

Thanks again - sorry for making a meal out of this. I HOPE I've made it clear and unambiguous now...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you're saying that the shortcut works with a mouse and not with the keyboard, I can only suggest that you've inadvertently already set up something else for the same shortcut. Ctrl+Alt+M works fine on the machine I'm running.
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yep - that's what I'm saying.
    I just tried changing the keys to ctrl-alt-i, which is assigned to internet explorer, and windoze didn't let me enter that key - as it's already in use.
    I give up.
    just seems to be another case of windoze being too complicated for its own good so no 2 computers behave the same...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I appreciate that Ctrl+Alt+M would be the best choice, but you've got about 100 other combinations you can use. FWIW, for example, the Function Keys (F9 and all the rest) can be made to work both with and without Ctrl+Alt. Are you saying that all the keys don't work?

This is really not an Outlook specific question. On the basis that you are running WinXP, I am moving this thread to the Windows XP Board - as others who frequent that Board may be more familiar with your particular issue.

HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

True, it's not an Outlook issue after all. - I've just confirmed that I can't get ANY of the shortcuts I've put in this new toolbar to respond to shortcut keys.
    I don't believe this is a matter of which key I choose. I think there's something about the folder in which they're located (a subfolder of my documents) which is stopping windows activating that file.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

As I understand this to work, the shortcut has to be in the Start Menu or on the Quick Launch bar in order for it to work properly. Have you tried placing it there?
    -Mark

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

David,
    Have a look at this: Homepage of HotKicks - Take complete control of Windows via hotkeys.. It may help.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok - that worked thanks. I've copied the items into my start menu and entered the shortcut keys on them. (Guess I could make that folder on my start menu into a toolbar???
    Seems just a widdle bit daft to have a property box available on any shortcut anywhere in your computer without a little note to say it only works in certain folders! :-(
    Thanks Mark.