5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Report Sort (2000)

I am trying to recreate a report that someone did with another software program. I have a County field and a State field. I created a calculation that goes - CtySt:IIF([State]<>"PA",[State],[County]) That gives me county names for all the PA state but if it is another state then give me the State abbreviaition. So I have a list that has county names and state abbreviations. My problem is in the report I am trying to recreate, they have all the counties first in alpabetical order and then the state abbreviations in alphabetical order. How would I accomplish this in Access. Is it possible?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Report Sort (2000)

Create another calculated field:
    InPA: [State]="PA"
    This will be True = -1 if the state is Pennsylvania, False = 0 otherwise. Sort the report on InPA first, then on CtySt.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I made the calculated field as you said. Where do I put True =-1 if the state is Pennsylvania, False = 0 Otherwise. Do you mean an IIF statement - INPA:IIF([State]="PA",-1,0)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What I meant was to put the following in an empty column of the query, literally:

<code>InPA: [State]="PA"</code>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I put the calculated field as you said and it worked.

Now I have another problem. In the county field there are some blanks so I have a calculation - ctyblank:IIF([county]= " ","Other",[county]. I used ctyblank in the calculation: CtySt: IIf([State]<>"PA",[State],[Ctyblank]) and I sorted on that but it comes back and says to enter parameter value for Ctyblank. I sorted on - INPA: [State]="PA" and CtyAbrev: IIf([State]<>"PA",[State],[Ctyblank]). When I use County instead of CtyBlank - it works. I have to define the blank fields as other.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You MUST define the ctyblank column to the left of the CtySt column. If they are reversed, CtySt won't know what ctyblank is.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just wanted to tell you how my sort worked out.
    I set up the first query with all the calculations and the INPA:[State] = "PA"
    I didn't sort this query. (For some reason it didn't work when I tried to sort the calculated fields)
    I did a second query, bringing in all the fields, sorted, grouped,summed etc and it worked perfectly.
    When I created the report, I brought in INPA and made it invisible.
    I went up to Sorting and Grouping and Sorted INPA first and then CtySt
    Works perfectly.
    Thanks for your help.