5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updating an A95 program (Access 2003)

I am working on updating a rather small program i wrote many years ago in Acess 95 to function properly in Access 2003, and I think I need some advice on how to go about it. Or a reference.

The proble is that my program was written with the "DAO 2.5/3.x compatibility library " . Which refernces the file "DAO235.tbl" in my admin (network) Office 97 install. I would like to remove the Office 97 files from my network, but I can't untill I get past this problem.

I could update all my code to "DAO 3.6 Object Library", but I haven't been able to find any documentation that would give me a clue as to what has changed. I have noticed that recordsettname.fieldname no longer works, but recordsetname!fieldname now does. If I have to test every line of code in every procedure, so be it, but I would like to find a convenient source of documentation to reduce my expirementation with the rather sparse examples included with the help files.

A while ago, I recently tried physically moving the old DAO library file to a different spot and re-adding the reference, but I was not able to get this to work. Tools .. Reference.. would only accept it if it was in the original location. I could never seem to gather enough info on the process to see what might be wrong.

I hoped that the new Access Developer's edition would help me out, but that doesn't "compile" anyhing for you, it merely installs a run-time copy of Access to run your mdb file!

Anyone who has goine through this, and can offer any suggestions, I would apreciate.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating an A95 program (Access 2003)

I don;t know of a handy check list or something like that. I would set a reference to the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library, then repeatedly select Debug | Compile <project>, correct the offending line, etc., until all errors have been removed.

BTW, you cannot just move an object library to another location, since many registry keys refer to the file, including its path. You'd have to unregister it, move it and reregister it, but frankly, I wouldn't try.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, that's what I'm doing now. It would be nice if with all the "Intellignet Help" built into all the other Office apps, the compiler could cough up something a little more helpful than "Object Needed"

Another idea. If I were to save the mdb as an mde file, would that include the DAO 2.5 library? (Seems too neet of a solution).

Any suggestions for sample code concerning recordsets?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, an mde is only a slightly locked down mdb with the source code "compiled" and stripped away. Object libraries are not included in the mde.

There are examples of using with recordsets all over the internet - you'll find lots of them if you search for DAO.Recordset in this forum, or using Google.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help. I'm off to update my program!