2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer Remembering Last Browsing Setting (XP)

Every time I open Windows explorer, it shows a lot of folders. But what I want is to customize which folders or trees of folders to show as default. Is it possible ?

Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer Remembering Last Browsing Setting (XP)

Sample rooted Explorer shortcut:

%windir%EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/root,C:MyStuff

The /n switch means open a new window (even if there's already a window open to that folder).
    The /e switch means open an expanded (i.e., 2-pane) window.
    The /root switch means root the directory tree at the specified directory.
    There's also a /select switch that selects the designated folder in the right (rather than left) pane, meaning the selected folder's parent is the open folder (and selected folder) in the left pane.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Steve,

I recall seeing a similar thread to this not very long ago - 1-2 months?

I had tried the suggestion there and it worked. That email mentioned the /select switch (and the others) but NOT the /root switch. It opened the shortcut at the C: directory, which is what I specified, plus the folders in the left pane.

However, I have another shortcut at work to a network drive folder that opens the right pane to the designated folder per the target (w/o any switches, since it is a shortcut directly to the folder). But I also want the left pane to open to the folder view instead of the XP System Task, etc view. I tried both /select and /root but no difference (although I'm not totally sure which does what).

Any ideas how to force folder view?

TIA.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try adding the /e switch, as indicated by Steve.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks. I had all the switches /n and /e and combinations of /root and /select along with a path. I still could not get the left pane to show a folder view.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, don't know then. /e always works for me.

Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer Remembering Last Browsing Set

Is it possible that your Folder Options is set to "Show common tasks in folders" rather than "Use Windows classic folders" ? I'm not sure if this may override the /e switch or not but it's worth a try. As well, what happens if you click the "Folders" button on the Explorer toolbar?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. But nothing seems to be working. I've tried various combinations of the e, root, and select switches (I always kept the n switch in the command line). I've also tried clicking the windows classic folders button. Maybe it has to do with the fact this is a network drive altho I don't see why that should be. Depending on exactly how I specify the path, I sometimes get a warning when opening the shortcut that the path is invalid or can't be found. It almost makes no sense.

I've also tried clicking the "make all folders look like this folder" button, once I've gotten it to look like what I want. But that, as the wording says, only governs the View in the right pane (details vs buttons vs ...). So I'm ready to put this one to rest with no solution.

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"this is a network drive "
    Yes, network dives will act differently.

Is the share a folder or it it the root of the real drive?

Is this a Workgroup or a domain network?

If domain what is the network brand?

As for the error and dive not found, your connection may not be complete or the drive is off line at that moment.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. Can't say much since I only started working there 2 weeks ago.

>Is the share a folder or it it the root of the real drive?
    The path I specified is to a folder N:...... where N should be a real network drive.

>Is this a Workgroup or a domain network?
    no idea

>If domain what is the network brand?
    no idea

>As for the error and dive not found, your connection may not be complete or the drive is off line at that moment.
    that's the one thing I know for sure. It's on line since I access files from Autocad. I'm just trying to set up an explorer shortcut to open as I want. I have it so the right pane opens at the path specified but the left pane is the XP Common Tasks pane. That's what I've been trying to fix. So I can say the drive is online.

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"XP Common Tasks pane"
    Go to the Classic mode, that is all one needs to do.

If it does open in the Task mode all one needs to do is select the "Folder" on the tool bar. Then if one was to "apply to all folders" this should open when ever you use Windows Explorer.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I have all these things set as you suggested. The folders on the left pane is not sticky. I even just tried this on my PC at home. Clicked the folders button to reveal the left pane with folders (prior to the click the detail view in right pane was taking up the entire window since I have Classic view ticked). Clicked the button to make all folders look like the current one. Closed the window and re-opened. No left pane of folders. But it's still in Classic View.

The way I read the Apply to All Folders is that it governs the view on the right pane (or whatever you call it if it's the only pane). That is, you can choose details, buttons, thumbnails, etc. It doesn't govern whether you have a left pane of folders.

Fred

Thanks

<hr>However, I have another shortcut at work to a network drive folder that opens the right pane to the designated folder per the target (w/o any switches, since it is a shortcut directly to the folder)<hr>

I just focused on the above sentence of one of your earlier posts, and it occurred to me that maybe you were trying to add the /e and other switches to shortcuts where you simply designated the desired folder as the Target. If so, that won't work. The Target has to be Explorer, with the folder as one of its arguments, rather than just the folder.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Steve,

Thks to you and everyone else for helping out. I finally got this to operate as it should today at work. I knew I couldn't just specify the folder and had to have Win Expl as the target. I already had a Win Expl shortcut set up to open on my C drive rather than My Documents, based on the email 1-2 months ago. I made a copy of that shortcut and just tried to paste the path for the network drive. For some reason, it wasn't working but I must have done something different today. It works now and it pretty much is the same as the shortcut for the C drive!!!

Fred