New Lounger
    Thanks

Password Problems (version 2002 SP1)

Hi,
    Can anyone point me in the direction of some authoritative information on XP Pro passwords. I have been all over, and have nothing helpful for the following tasks:
    1. to synchronize local and network passwords
    2. to set them to never expire. (I thought I had done this, but the expiration message still comes up).
    As a new XP user, I am not even sure how to distinguish services for the types of passwords.
    Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Password Problems (version 2002 SP1)

First, you should strongly consider SP-2.
    1.) What kind of network? Workgroup or domain? If you have a local account it is entirely different entity from a domain account. Domain account credentials will get cached locally in case you logon and are not attached to a domain server.
    2.) If you are on a domain an admin can set policies that will override your local settings for the domain accounts.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe,
    I was told by our consultanting firm not to download SP 2, as it would conflict (somehow) with our manufacturing software (elliott).
    The computers (there are a couple) are in a domain
    How does one "override" local settings.
    I run the network, but am a total novice with XP Pro....
    i find the documentation spotty and hard to access easily.
    thanks again, for your help.
    Incidentally, I did lusrmgr.msc and set "password to never expire" here, but apparently it didn't take....
    One more thing. I am able to change the password to access the account, but the annoyance is when trying to access Outlook, and box pops up for username and password. When password is entered, the box pops up again.......

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

1.) You should listen to your consulting firm about problems with a third party application. But at the same time strongly suggest that the application be made SP-2 compliant and ask when it will be made so. They had plenty of time to do that.
    2.) If you are talking about the password used when logging into the domain, the properties must be changed on the server. The should be a 'User Mananger' applet or something similar where you set the properties for each user.

Joe
    Joe