Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Learning booklet (2003)

My team is preparing a booklet to accompany a slide presentation. The booklet will contain passages of text from the slides, but with blank spaces for the student to write-in the missing word. The instructor's copy of the booklet will be identical, but with the answers filled in, of course. I know how to format hidden text, but what I don't know is how to create an underscore ( _________ ) to appear in place of the hidden text.

This is nothing new to many of you, and I'm wondering if someone could show me how you would approach a project such as this. I'm somewhat familiar with mail-merge and inserting fields, but I've never attempted anything like this before. I'll be grateful for any tips you can offer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Learning booklet (2003)

Formatting the text as hidden won't help - the surrounding text would close up to fill the space taken by the hidden text. you could do the following:
    - Create a character style <font face="Georgia">Teacher</font face=georgia> based on the style you use for the body of the document.
    - Don't set any special formatting for this style, unless you want the answers to be bold or something like that in the teacher's version.
    - Create another character style <font face="Georgia">Student</font face=georgia>, also based on the style you use for the body of the document.
    - Set the font color for this style to white, and set underlining with black (not automatic) as underline color.
    - Format all the words to be filled in with the Teacher style.
    - Print the document. This is the teacher version.
    - To create the student version, use Edit | Replace... to replace all instances of the Teacher style with the Student style (click More in the Replace dialog to get the formatting options)
    - Print the document. This is the student version.
    - Replace the Student style with the Teacher style to switch back.
    - You could create a macro or macros to switch between the two versions.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans! I'll give this a try.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I use a slight variant on Hans' technique. Just have one text style which initially is the same as the default text. Later just change the colour of that text style from black to white with black underlining, as Hans stated.