Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC Heading1 Duplication (2002 SP-2)

I have a document where I have collected various Excel tips & tricks separated into sections based on the type of tip. Section titles are formatted with the style 'Heading 1' while individual tips are titled using 'Heading 3'.

I generated a table of contents to make things easier to find, however, when Word produces the TOC, it duplicates the first section heading (See attached). There is no duplicate section title in the document. Does anyone know why this is happening? And, how do I stop it? It's getting rather irritating, having to delete the extra line every time I regenerate the TOC.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC Heading1 Duplication (2002 SP-2)

1. Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. There are two SHAPE fields that are also formatted as Heading1. Remove them.
    2. It's probably best to generate the TOC anew, based on Heading 1 through Heading 3.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC Heading1 Duplication (2002 SP-2)

Thanks Hans.

I don't know how I got those shape fields in there, but removing them cured the problem. I'll add the ALT+F9 to my list of tricks in my Word Tips & Tricks list. It's definitely easier than using the menu to toggle the field codes on and off.