New Lounger
    Thanks

formula does not take (MS 2000 )

I am linking a cell within a book to be displayed on the front sheet. I click on the Cell on the front sheet, then click on = in the formula bar, then locate the sheet with the data and select that cell in the sheet. When I return, to the from sheet the syntax is in the cell where the value should be. I am working with 50 rows (each row represents a sheet in the workbook) and 12 columns. The first 2 columns worked fine, the formulas work like they are supposed to, half way down the third column the formulas just quit taking, the syntax shows but the formula does not work. the formula remains as text in the cell after hitting the enter key. I have tried F2, formatting the column, and deleting and replacing with new column. I am new at Excel.
    Thank you for your help in advance.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: formula does not take (MS 2000 )

Were those cells where the formula does not work formatted as Text when you entered the formula into the cell. A cell that is formatted as Text will display whatever is entered into them as text values. Therefore, if you enter a formula, it will just display as text. You will need to change the format to General, then reenter the formula.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: formula does not take (MS 2000 )

Those cells seem to be formatted as text. Select them, hit control-1 to bring up the format cells dialog, click the Number tab and select "General" from the list. Now try creating the formulas again.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association