2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Runtime (Access 97, 2000, 2003)

I have a database that was created in Access 2003. I am trying to get it where I can use the database on a machine that has windows 98 and office 97. I can get the database to convert down to a Access 2000 version, but it will not convert to a Access 97 format. I have found a version of Access 2000 runtime, and here is the issue. It says if a full version of Access is already installed on the computer, there will be problems with using the older version of access. Is there any work around for this. If I install the access 2000 runtime on the machines with office 97, will I have problems or what is anyones input??? Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Runtime (Access 97, 2000, 2003)

Do you have the Office 2000 Developer's edition? The Developers Tools disk includes information on creating a runtime setup. Unfortumately, the setup wizard (the name keeps changing between versions) is rather stupid, which is why there are warnings like that in the knowledgebase. It is perfectly possible to run a runtime version of 2000 on a machine with 97 installed, but there are pitfalls, one of which is that the default install location for the runtime files is not the right place to put them if you want the two versions to coexist.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So if I purchase Office 2000 Developer's edition, I will be able to distribute my database on windows 98 machines with access 97 installed on them? I wasnt aware that Access 2000 runtime came with Office Developers edition. What is the right place to install the files for the runtime if I want the two versions to coexist? Thanks again

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You will likely have to resort to the used software market to get the Office 2000 Developer's edition - it hasn't been available through the retail chain for several years. As to the file locations, the basic answer is somewhere other than the folder where Access 97 is installed - but that may well mean registering DLLs and the like manually. Most developers use a commercial package to setup the install scripts. Charlotte in particular has had considerable experience in this area.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was wondering if you could give me more insight about Access Runtime
    installation in the correct directory. Is access runtime available as a
    separate package, or do I need to purchase developer edition of access.
    Thanks again.

Nick

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Prior to Office 2003, the Access runtime only came with the Office Developer Edition. It could be distributed royalty-free with your application. As of Office 2003, it is now part of Visual Studio Tools. Multiple versions of Access can co-exist on a computer. Always be sure to answer NO when Access offers to "clean-up" prior versions. Just be sure to install in a unique directory.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How many machines are you talking about? The runtime files match the version of Access, not the file format, so you can't install an Access 2000 runtime using the Visual Studio Tools for Office (2003), you need the Office 2000 Developers Edition. How many machines are you talking about? Is this an office or business with a large number of machines running Office 97, or just one machine? The economics of which way you go depends on how many machines are involved.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is about 40 machines running office 97. These are the machines that need to be able to run the database created in access 2003, which has been converted to a access 2000 file format.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

But are all these Win98 machines? It might be easier and possibly cheaper overall to upgrade Windows on the Win98 machines so they can run a 2003 runtime. Finding a 2000 version of the Office Developer is not easy.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

will the office developer 2000 do what I am wanting though? I have found a copy for sale on the internet, but I dont want to purchase it if it not going to work. I have a pretty small budget to work with or else I would upgrade all of the machines to a newer version of windows.
    Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

By itself, it won't do anything. You have to install it on your machine and build an installer setup for your application. The packaging wizard is less than user friendly and also less than intelligent. We routinely install Access 97 runtimes on machines from Win98 up, but we use the Wise Installer, which is not cheap. I truly don't know how the packaging wizard will behave, but I had problems with it years ago trying to install 97 and 2000 runtimes on other machines and abandoned it. If the installation is fairly simple, you might not have any problems. That means avoid ActiveX controls at all costs, and be careful to install the runtime files in something like an Access 2K Runtime folder.
    Charlotte