Thread: Tab Order?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tab Order?

Hi,
    I am using 97 with SR-1.
    I have this worksheet that I want the users to be able to hit a key (tab?) to go to the next cell. I checked the help and the archive and found nothing.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tab Order?

What do you mean by next cell, the next adjacent cell, or the next cell you want a data entry for ?

If the latter is the case, you should format all cells except those that require data entry as Locked and then protect the sheet.
    When the sheet is protected, the tab key should move you to only those cells which are not locked. To lock cells go to Format, Cells, Protection and select lock. It is best to lock all cells first (which they should be by default), and then select and unlock only the ones you need to.

The locked status only comes into play when the sheet is protected. When you protect the sheet you may use a password if you wish.

Hope that helps you

Andrew C

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you be a little more clear about what you mean by "next cell" and what happens now when you hit the tab key? There are many possibilities depending on exactly what you mean. Your problem might be anything from having the Transition Navigation option selected to needing a SheetSelectionChange event routine to control where the selection goes.
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thats it!
    The protection and unlocking worked.

Thanks alot!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

By next cell I mean the next cell that data needs to be inputted.
    I'm going to look up Transition Navigation because even though I got the answer I needed, the order of the tab could be tweaked.
    Thanks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Also:
    Is there a way to turn off the warning message about protected cells?

Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, then Transition Navigation Keys is most likely not turned on, and should not be causing you problems.

Andrew gave you what is probably the best way to accomplish what you want, as long as the unprotected cells are in the order in which you want to navigate through them. Excel does not provide a method for you to specify a tab order for cells. If using cell protection does not work, then about the only other thing you can do is use the SheetSelectionChange event to control the cell order, but this can be a bit complex if you have a lot of cells involved.

What error message are you getting using protection, and what action causes the message?
    Legare Coleman