New Lounger
    Thanks

PDF in Internet Explorer

I am cannot open/download pdf in IE. In Manage Add-ons the Adobe PDF add on is listed as disabled. It is also not available for enabling or updating.
    I tried re-setting the Acrobat preferences and re-installing Acrobat but the status of the add ons remains the same.
    The Knowledge base article "How to manage Internet Explorer add-ons in Windows XP Service Pack 2" mentions changing key settings, but there is no mention of Manage Add ons not allowing changes for some of the applications. Some of my other add ons are also listed, but unavailable, while others are available for enable or update.
    Any suggestions for 1. Enabling pdf and 2. Fixing the "Manage Add-ons" utility. Thanks

Thanks

Re: PDF in Internet Explorer

Are you using a stand alone machine or are you operating in a networked environment? If you are networked, it's possible that the network admin has disabled some of these and you will not be able to modify the status.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am using a stand alone with XP Home sp2 installed. There is a message in Manage Add-ons Settings that says the Administrator must adjust the settings. I am the only user of the machine and I am an administrator. But with other add-ons I have no trouble with "enable/disable".
    The KB article mentions group policy editor, but there seems to be no comparable Administrative utility for stand alone systems.
    I tried re-installing sp2 but it made no difference.
    thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 891 Posts

Which version of the Reader? Also, gpedit (group policy editor) is for XP Pro only. When you've uninstalled and re-installed Adobe Reader have you re-booted after the un-install? Have you checked then to make sure that IE does not think the add-on is still there before the re-install?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Adobe ACROBAT 6.0. Rebooted etc. and the entries in Manage Add-ons do not change before or after re-install. I would be happy if I could remove some of the add-ons, but there does not seem to be a way to do that. For all I know the add-ons are for something else. I have a sense I am actually dealing with two problems.
    I have attached a image of the utility as it looks right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images