New Lounger
    Thanks

Office File Security

I need to be able to track if a document was opened. If I look at properties it shows last accessed by me but I need to know if it was opened while I was on a trip last week. This is a stand alone, no network system. Is there a way to see if the doc was opened?
    DawnCCTX dwooten@stx.rr.com

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office File Security

If the computer is using the NTFS file system, you can check the last accessed date in Windows Explorer. You may need to right click on the columns in Explorer and select that one.
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Just a quick addition to Mark's reply. This article gives some insights into the peculiarities of Windows File Date and Time attributes. There are a few surprises in there.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure about Mark's "NTFS" comment. I'd give it a try to see. I have done what he suggests on a FAT32 drive (see attachment) and been able to add the accessed column. The only thing is, it's specific to one folder. I guess if you wanted the change to be global, you'd have to go into Folder Options and select the option to have ALL folders set as the current - I have NOT tried that step.

Edited: I should have pointed out that I run Win XP Pro.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Are you concernced that the document was read, changed or both? Are you concerned with 'access' by Word or some other product? Since 'Date Last Accessed' is not a reliable indicator of anything, unless you had security auditing already enabled there is not a really good way to track file activity. Auditing capabilities are OS depdendent. What OS are you running?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

The OS is Windows XP. Thanks for all of the feedback but as Joe said it only gives me date accessed as my access... even if I do not open but go to properties. I want to know if someone opened the doc and did not save or change during my time out of the office. Not looking good so far right? Dawn

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It's a very long shot, but you might try seeing if that document appears in Cocuments and Settings<your userid>Local SettingsHistory in one of the date categories (like 3 Weeks Ago) then look in My Computer. There is a column which says "Last Visited". This assumes, I think, that you have set up the History feature on Internet Explorer.

Unfortunately my forensic skills don't go so far as to say what would be the meaning of the appearance of the document in My Computer under one of the date ranges, but at a guess I would say that it had been accessed.

Unfortunately in My Recent Documents (see elsewhere on the hard disk!) it seems that to be in there it had to have been modified...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks

If you have XP Pro see: How To Audit User Access of Files, Folders, and Printers in Windows XP for future tracking.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Fantastic Joe! This is it.... maybe we'll catch the culprit the next time! thanks so much.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've become quite curious about this 'Date Last Accessed' "attribute". I generated MD5 hash values for various Office documents, then opened them, looked at them, then closed them. Their hash values remained unchanged, so I'm assuming that there's no information stored inside the file relating to "access" date. ???

Alan

Administrator
    Thanks

Alan,

It is an atrribute stored in the file metadata not in the file. For more information here's a starting point: File Times.

Joe
    Joe