3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Versions? (2003 SP1)

Hi

We are looking at using 'Versions' in Word, but I've read online that this was a notorious cause of document corruption in Word and that this feature should be avoided like the plague. However, I believe that this was referring to older versions of Word and am wondering if Microsoft worked to fix this feature and whether we should consider using it? Does anyone use this feature and, if so, can you advise whether it is now a good feature or, as stated, should be avoided?

Thanks for any comments/feedback regarding same.

[img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Versions? (2003 SP1)

I cannot answer your question based on statements that it had bugs..., so don't take this as the alpha/omega answer!

I have used versions in the past when needing to do continued editing and changes in a document, and never ran into any hassles with it. I would assume that it will depend on how and for what purpose you plan to use the versions feature that will depend on its stability!

The only context in which I use it is for multiple editing. I would be able to jump between the various versions easily based on changes I made in the doc. If you end up with lots of different versions, and combine versions with merging changes...it can become quite overwhelming to mange it all, but other thatn this, I have never REALLY had much hassles with it.

Hope this helps as a comment on your post!
    Regards,
    Rudi

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your reply. We'll just have to use it and pray!

Thanks again.

Brian

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Am wondering how your experience with Versions has panned out.

We are considering using it for electronic review of documents posted to a shared drive that would be reviewed and commented on by five to ten reviewers. I would implement Tools > Protect Docs > Editing Restrictions > Tracked Changes, then Unprotect the document to Accept/Reject Tracked Changes, as I reconciled them with my reviewers.

But it appears to me that I would quickly lose track of when I did what to who!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sundog! First, I can't speak to 2003. And I can't speak to corruption issues caused by Versions feature in any iteration of Word. However, before you implement this you should probably perform the following test in your environment (because after all, that's where you'll be using it!):<UL><LI>In a new document type =rand() and press Enter.
    <LI>Go to File / Versions and enable "new version on save" then save your document.
    <LI>Turn on Track Changes and then replace all instances of "quick" with "speedy" then save your document
    <LI>Add a line of text anywhere in the document with some unique text, such as "this is a test" then save your document
    <LI>Using the Reviewing toolbar accept all changes then save and close your document.
    <LI>File / Open and select "Recover text from any File" in file type, then locate and open your document
    <LI>Search for the word "quick"[/list]In versions through XP SP3, your search will locate that word. Obviously, it should not be able to do so, since that word was deleted in Version 1. This is just a portion of the metadata issue which is discussed in several threads in this forum. MS does offer a metadata cleaner which does a pretty good job of stripping this type of metadata, but I don't know off-hand if it is for XP only, or if they have one for 2003.

Good luck!
    Karen

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, KB! Wow! All that stuff is still there! I'm using Word 2003 (11.5604.6360). So let this be a warning to those of us who may not want old stuff lingering on and findable in newer documents!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I personally haven't used it much. I was sending an E-mail throughout our organization to let people know the feature was there, as we had users saving files called Version 1, Version 2, etc. So far, no-one has come back to me to say they've used it or had problems with it--maybe that's a good sign?

Apologies for not being much help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for responding. I've decided to go with separate files instead of using Word's Version feature, using a naming convention that I control, something like 611v1.doc, 611v2.doc, etc. Primarily, this is so the final version will be "clean," or at least cleaner, of changes and comments from previous versions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you're doing a lot of this, and the size of your organization warrants and budget permits, it might be worth looking at implementing a document management system - these are designed specifically to handle versions in a rational way.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately we don't have enough funds nor amount of documents to investigate the real thing.