New Lounger
    Thanks

Great free hidden data tool! (all)

Just saw this http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050118/185989_1.html and downloaded the tool. It's free and it rocks! Lots of data in Office docs I never knew was there!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Great free hidden data tool! (all)

Welcome to the Lounge

The free tool from Bitform is designed to show the hidden information contained in a file but will not remove it. If you want to remove it you can use the remove hidden data add-in from Microsoft.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I just used it to scan all the files in our CM system (over 30000) and found many serious "needle in the haystack" hidden data problems including five cases of Excel files that contained database user names and passwords. No other product I've found has any chance of doing this. The MS tool is ok for removing some of this stuff on a file by file basis but it's really apples and oranges.

Thanks

That's great you were able to reveal some problem. I tried it on one of my Excel VBA applications and thought it could do better, however.

1. When it's done, it doesn't tell me exactly what it found - just says "Personal summary information found and removed". I'd prefer the output summary actually list exactly what it found.

2. Since all my Excel projects use VBA, I never turn on "Trust Access to Visual Basic Project" which prevented the tool from removing comments in my code (which I do NOT want removed in the first place). I'd be better if it let me decide what to remove before it goes ahead and does unknown things on its own. I know better than to write 'secret' stuff in comments since it's trivial to view the .xls file in a hex editor and read anything you want.

3. It also said "Comments found and removed" which means what? This is different than the VBA comments. Are these cell comments? I hope not.

I haven't tried MS's version of this tool so can't compare.

Thnx,
    Deb