Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where did brackets come from? (Word 2000)

Please, can anyone tell me how I managed to add the (square) brackets to the bulleted sentence contained in the attached document? This is not the actual document that it originally appeared in, but I copied it to a new document and it remained after I cleansed the information. I know that I can delete the entire bulleted sentence to get rid of it, I am just wondering what new thing I have learned to do wrong today!?!

Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Don Liebman
    San Diego, CA 92115

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Where did brackets come from? (Word 2000)

It is a bookmark named OLE_LINK1. This kind of bookmark is created by Word itself if you copy some text, then paste it as a link elsewhere (Edit | Paste Special..., Paste Link option).

If you are absolutely sure that there is no link to this bit of text any more, you can delete the bookmark in the Insert | Bookmark... dialog, but if you're not certain, just leave it. It doesn't do any harm.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I regularly copy and paste text within this document, but have never meant to place any bookmark links.

Thank you for the answer!

Don
    Don Liebman
    San Diego, CA 92115

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Found this thread in a search....

I get undesired bookmarks inserted around selected text whenever I do a copy/paste from Word to Outlook-- for me it's a pain because I use bookmarks heavily and having bogus ones appear means more house cleaning to do.

Does anyone know how to suppress this behavior? Or would this more properly be posted in the Outlook group?

Thanks,
    Arianna

Thanks

You must be using Word as your mail editor in Outlook. While this provides some efficiencies in not learning a new editor, and in being able to tap AutoText entries and some of Word's other features, it does seem to have a lot of quirks.

When you paste from Word to Outlook-Word, what are the names of the new bookmarks? Are they hidden bookmarks (start with an underscore (_) character), or named ones?

Does it happen when you are pasting into a new message section? into a section containing a message you are forwarding/replying to? both?

If you use Edit>Paste Special>Unformatted text, does that fix it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply...your questions led me to the answer!

I'm not using Word as my mail editor, for the very reasons you state. I get unwanted bookmarks no matter what message format/editor I am using (Word/HTML/Rich/Plain). Interestingly, the Past Special option is ONLY available when I have Word as my email editor (I'm using 2002). Otherwise it is disabled.

The bookmarks are always named OLE_LINK#, where # is 1, 2, 3....

The catch is (and this is where you helped me figure things out), is that if I copy text in Word, THEN open a new message in Outlook, the bookmarks are added, even before I perform the paste. But if the new email message is opened ahead of time, or if it is an existing message, the bookmarks are not added.

So while I'm not clear on why it has to happen, at least I know how to avoid it. :-P.

Thanks for your help; this forum is the BEST!