Star Lounger
    Thanks

email order forms for website (FP2002 (10.2623.2625))

I want to have a hyperlink on the order page of a website I am designing that opens an email to my email address for the client wishing to place an order. I want the email to appear to the client with the basic information already written out, with empty boxes in which the client simply enters the item they want to purchase, and the quantity of that item. I also want to have my conditions of sale written on the email, and a space for the client to add any additional comments.

I realise that I am really talking about an order form, but I don't want the form to take up space on the webpage (and I don't want to use Frames) - that's why I want it to merely appear as a hyperlink which, when clicked on by the client, will open up an email as described above. Can FP do this? Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Ross

Thanks

Re: email order forms for website (FP2002 (10.2623

I think your easiest option would be to have the order form open up in a new window. I think you may have problems trying to create an email as you describe, particularly if the user only has a web-based email account.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again, Leif. Thanks for your comment. Would you mind pointing me in the direction within FP where I can arrange to have a new window as you describe, for the order form, pls?

Thanks

Create the Order Form page you want to be opened. (In the example below "OrderForm.htm")

In the original (referring) page, create the hyperlink you want the user to click on to open the Order Form page. In the attached example, I have entered the text "Click HERE for Order Form" and want to make the word "HERE" the clickable word.

Select "HERE", right click and select Hyperlink

As the OrderForm.htm page is already open, it is listed at the top of the list. Click it once to select it.

Click on "Target Frame..." and select New Window. (Note that at the bottom the Target Setting is set to "_blank")

OK all windows, and the hyperlink should open the Order Form in a new window.

If you want to see how this is done in 'raw' HTML, click on the HTML tab and you will see how the "Target " tag is used - it should look something like:

<code>

Click HERE for Order Form</p></code>

HTH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fantastic, Leif - really appreciate the time and effort you've put into your reply and advice. Thank you! Looking forward to trying your suggestion. Think it sounds just what I was after.

Cheers!

Ross

Star Lounger
    Thanks

sorry - me again, Leif. I've followed your instructions and am almost there. However, when clicking on "Submit" on the order form on the website, I keep getting an error page. I have checked everything you mentioned, ensuring that my email details are there, but the form won't send to my email address. Any ideas, please?

Could the "blank " setting in "Target settings" have anything to do with it? Should this blank be changed to my email address, perhaps?

One other minor thing: on the order form when it comes up on the website, there is a sentence saying "[FrontPage Save Results Component]" - this does not appear on the order form in FP. Any idea how to get rid of this, please?

Thanks

The "_blank" tag simply ensures a new window (or possibly tab in Firefox) is opened - it should not affect the 'submit' process.

Can you confirm you are running FP Server Extensions on your web? - I'm fairly certain this is a requirement - and that you are using FP to publish the web, rather than uploading by ftp.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Leif

Dunno what I've done, but everything is now ok, apart from that "FrontPage Save Results Component]", which still appears on the form on the website.

The server does have FP exts.

Very appreciative of your feedback - thank you!

Thanks

Can you post the URL for the page? - or PM me with it and I'll try and have a quick look.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's the offending page, Leif.

http://geeksorphans.netfirms.com/Direct Bank Transfer orders.htm

Thanks

OK - you have a line which begins:

< <code>!--webbot bot="SaveResults"...</code>

in the middle of which is the <code>[FrontPage Save Results Component]</code> text.

Comparing it against a form I have published in the past, this would appear to indicate that either you haven't used the FP 'Publish' method to upload, or the FP Server extension are not running on the site hosting the page.

(If you preview it in FP, do you still see the "[FrontPage Save Results Component]" text, and at the top of the window, the warning as per the attachment?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (1.8 KB, 0 views)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

"(If you preview it in FP, do you still see the "[FrontPage Save Results Component]" text, and at the top of the window, the warning as per the attachment?):

No, Leif, I don't see it in FP....only on the published webpage! The server does support FP extensions, but maybe not all of them are activated or something? Anyway, if you're right - and you have been for everything else - I guess it's now a matter I have to take up with Netfirms.

Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks

If you don't see the warning when look at the Preview tab (NOT the 'Normal' composing view) then perhaps you have the server extensions installed locally?

I think it is possible to have the Server Extensions installed but not activated on your web.