3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Icons for Favorites (IE 6.x)

Hi.

I have several shortcuts in my Favorites drop-down and on my Links toolbar which come with their own (often cool) icons. However, I noticed that, if I empty out my cookies and temp files, etc. either manually or using something like WebWipe, the icons disappear. My question is: is there a way to easily track down the icon assigned to a "favorite" and put it somewhere else so that I can at least manually assign it using the link's properties? Thus far, I've been copying all of the GIF files out of the "temporary files" folder, viewing them, changing the desired one to a BMP/ICO file, and then using the "properties" option for the shortcut to "Change Icon."

Isn't there a better way?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Thanks

Re: Icons for Favorites (IE 6.x)

Check this thread - FavOrg (I'm pretty sure) does what you want.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

FavOrg requires a subscription to the PC Mag site. Check out the other programs such as AM-Deadlink mentioned in the thread that Leif pointed out.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, did this happen after SP2 was installed? I had lots of "favicons" that used to survive cookie and files cleanup, from the "tools" drop down, but not since SP2. I am left wondering what settings SP2 sicced on me. And restoring them is a real pain. At least it hasn't happened yet with Firefox.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, it happens at work, where we haven't even installed SP2 yet. (They're about to release a tweaked version of it en masse.... shudder!) Near as I can figure, it happens simply because I throw out all "offline files" (among other things) when I use WebWipe to scour my system. Apparently, the icon files to which some of the shortcuts point are cached in the "temporary internet files" subdirectory, and that's a LOT of image files to go through when looking for the one I want to save!
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that's where IE dumps them, with all the cookies and other stuff. Manually, I used to sort by file type after deleting cookies, but not really worth it. Tried AM-Deadlink, it put some back, takes time, but got only about 25 of the 120 or so I used to have. It also got rid of all the icons I made and "change icon". But sometimes "Delete Files" in the Tools>Options will wipe all the favicons too. Pain.
    Too bad you can't get your work browser switched to Firefox.