Lounger
    Thanks

auto add a unique number for tasks (2000/3)

I am trying to track paper documents phone calls and emails etc in the workplace that require an action. Currently I am using access but wish to consolidate into Outlook. I realise I could spend $$$ and purchase a CRM app. but........

What I wish is a way in which I can auto add a unique task no. to a task and find a way in which to print out a report of all active tasks.
    Robert

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: auto add a unique number for tasks (2000/3)

Microsft has a "Business Contact Manager" app that comes with certain versions of Office 2003, have you checked into that? My boss tried it here, but didn't think its particular focus fit quite into how he was trying to do things.

If you want to customize Outlook, you could do worse than Sue Mosher's "Microsoft Outlook Programming" http://outlookcode.com/.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thankyou Jim for your reply, I hadnt looked too hard at "Business Contact Manager" but will do. I am also thinking about buying Sue's book. its I just figured it would be easier to buy off the shelf, than reinvent the wheel.
    Regards
    Robert

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sue Mosher's original book was pretty well recomended, even after it went out of print.

Strangely enough, I've never seen any 3rd party add-ins that has enhanced tasks at all.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You may remember Helen Feddema from Access Watch. Her Code Samples do include a number of interactions between Outlook and Access - although I didn't see your specific request. You could also try looking at some of her past Access Archon columns. HTH
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Robert, a couple of vague comments (now that my eyes are bleeding from working on <post#=443421>post 443421</post#>).

In a sense, every Outlook Item has a built in number, Item.EntryID. It's about 30 digits long, and probably not what you had in mind, but it's there. Unfortunately, it changes if the item is moved to a different folder, or edited and the changes saved.

Your simplest bet is to keep your task number in the Body of the task, but that's kind of kludgy. Outlook Tasks are not directly customizable the way Contacts are, you'll need to get into Forms design. (perhaps MS didn't want Outlook Tasks to easily encroach on MS Project.) To get into Design, from the main Outlook menu, start with Tools | Forms | Design | select Task, and you'll see several blank 'pages' available for your use, and a field chooser from which you can "borrow" an unused field. I don't get into Forms design at all, but search this forum for "form field", read WOWMM #2.16 - the part by Helen Feddema on 'recycling' unused fields, and you should also search Sue Mosher's site http://www.outlookcode.com.

HTH.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you unkamunka for the reply. I previously had looked through the wonderful Helen's code samples, but alas there is nothing there that fits the bill this time around. I have previously used some of her code to inport data from Access to Outlook to great effect.

Robert

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John, post 443421 is a bigin, no doubt about it. Kludgy is unfortuantely no good, given that I will not be the main person using this. (various admin personell) I have had a go at designing the task form but after publishing it and getting it to work on various computers, it is still problematic. Looks like there is a lack of people around that know how to design these forms. Maybe even after all the research etc, I will find that its not a worthwhile proposition but in the meantime it will keep the cerebral fluid circulating. So it looks like Sue has another customer for the book and I will make this a project.
    Robert