Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing list box (XP Home SP2)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Chuck Tucker on 22-Jan-05 09:00. New information)</P>I initially posted this problem in the Outlook forum (Post 445429), as it occurred in Outlook. Now, however, I am noticing a similar problem running Quicken. So I assume it is an operating system problem..

The problem occurs like this. I click on the calendar box to pick a date. When I slide the mouse into the box, the box immediately disappears. The same thing occurs in Outlook when I click to get the list box with times displayed. When I move the mouse pointer into the list box, it immediately disappears. In both cases I can still click inside the date or time box and type the date or time, but I can't pick it out by pointing with the mouse.

This phenomena has just started up in the last couple of days. I ran Norton AV, and it detected no virus.

EDIT: I just ran AdAware and now the Quicken problem has gone away. (Whether due to AdAware cleaning out something or not I don't know). However, the problem in Outlook persists.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Disappearing list box (XP Home SP2)

Check your mouse settings, such as for speed, single click and etc.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

S'funny you should make this post at this time, Chuck. Yesterday, I sat down to do some "catching up" in Quicken99 (I don't need the newer versions) in preparation for doing my taxes. I noticed that problem with the pick-list window a few times too. I chalked it up as a fluke and went on working since the list box would work OK the next time and then later it would disappear again. This went on intermittently for a couple of hours. It's been a week or so since I've run my AdAware and Spybot. I'll be back later.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Somewhat later. I also ran AdAware SE 1.05 and Spybot 1.3 with updates and AA found a few tracking cookies as usual. We already know two things we don't have in common - my machine in question runs XP Pro but with "only" SP1 installed. The other is that my AV software is PC-Cillin and I run an overnight scan every night which hasn't reported any problems. Unfortunately I don't use Outlook so I can't help there. I've got to go out for a few hours and when I return, I'll be going back to Quicken to finish up some stuff. I'll let you know if the problem is still there. Meanwhile, we wait to see if anyone else reading this thread has had a similar problem.

If it happens to me again later I'm going to shut down as much peripheral stuff as I can to see what happens.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Final comment. Ya know, you and I should have compared notes on what AdAware removed for us. In my case, it was several tracking cookies, only one of which was in my "regular" user profile. The others were in spare/backup profiles that never get used. I didn't bother to dig into it to get any information. Whenever AA finds cookies, I always let it delete them if they're not something I recognize that I want (and they never have been). Anyway, I again worked on Quicken for a few hours yesterday and had no more problems, so I guess it was a fluke. I don't know how to add anything, so I'll have to let you continue on your own with the Outlook problem.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Doc,

I, too, have noticed that Quicken now works OK, but the problem with the appointment times in Outlook persists. I've run a complete virus scan, complete AdAward and SpyBot scans, but it hasn't cured the Outlook problem. I can't exactly recall the sequence, but I believe the Quicken problem went away after one of the above scans. There were no virus' discovered, but as usual there were several data miner types that I deleted.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave, None of the mouse settings have changed. Still have the problem with Outlook.