4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Compile Errors (97 to XP)

I have a large database (300 MB) that I use to save old Word documents. I insert the Word files in a memo field using an Insert Object command. I create one of these each year to store the Word files from that year and then, at the end of the year, I consolidate all the files from that year into the large 300 MB database.

Anyway, I have recently upgraded my last computer from Office 97 to Office XP and so I decided to convert these files from Access 97 format to Access XP format. When I attempted to do that, I got the following error message:
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compile Errors (97 to XP)

I don't think this has much to do with a conversion. I opened your sample in A97 and tried to compile all modules. I immediately got compile errors in the form module, since option explicit is turned on but you have a bunch of code like this:

<code> Daytimer = "Yes"
    House = "No"
    Label = "No"
    Personal = "No"
    Secretary = "No"
    [Southern Tech] = "No"
    Todo = "No"</code>

Since these variables aren't declared, you get an error. I suspect the Option Explicit line is new because you can't declare a variable named [Southern Tech] (and I can't imagine why you would want to), but you should always use Option Explicit to avoid other errors caused by misspelling.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

These are some of the labels I use as categories on the form so I don't think the problem has anything to do with spelling. As best I recall, these are all converted to a number that is then stored in the database in a single field, with the number corresponding to the option selected. I seem to remember using some kind of wizard to design this as a combo box. (It's been a long time ago and I have not done much of anything with the design since then.)

Any suggestions on what my next step should be for either troubleshooting or repair?

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

A database with errors will not convert properly.
    You'll have to correct first all the errors before the conversion.
    As <!profile=Charlotte>Charlotte<!/profile> says, in every module you should have the line Option Explicit.
    Go to any module and select Debug / Compile All Modules.
    As long you'll get errors executing this command, you'll have problems with converting.
    Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

They may very well be labels (or variables, for that matter), but you don't have controls with that name on your form, you haven't declared those as variables, and you can't set a value of a label. Your checkboxes appear to be in an option group, which means that only one value at a time can be selected, and you are using that value in the select case statement. Whatever you are trying to do in that select case isn't clear, since there is nothing in your stripped database that would handle those lines of code.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In addition to others comments, if you database is over 300MB in Access 97, it will probably bloat to over 500MB in Access 2002. That's large enough you are likely to start having problems with corruption and the compact and repair process. You may want to think about using a split database and storing some documents in one database, and others in another.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have taken the comments and tried to fix the problems but I am not having a lot of success. Part of my problem is that I originally created this database in about 1998 or 1999 and I have not done anything in Access since then other than enter data into this and other databases. I have tried searching the online help without a lot of success. If someone could be more specific about either what I need to do to resolve this problem or an article or something I could read to help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is the problem with the actual size or the number of records? Since each record is fairly large, I actually only have about 5,000 records.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you been able to successively remove all syntax errors and compile the code in the database, as recommended in earlier replies?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No. I have spent hours digging through the help files without success. The problem is, I do almost nothing with Access other than use them to enter/sort/find data. I created this file back in 1998 or 1999 and I no only have done nothing else with it since then but use it, I have not created any other Access files since then. To say I am rusty would be a kindness. I guessing I just going to have to stick to the Access 97 format.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I am very sorry, but there is little we can do for you. As Charlotte indicated, the database you attached does not give us a clue about what the code is supposed to do.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I recall, the only code did one of the following three things:

1. Maximized the form when it was opened.
    2. Restore. There is a macro called restore but I don't know what it does.
    3. Translate the category clicked on into a number that is stored in the database.

I don't think there should be anything else going on but I did have some help from forum members in writing it. All I do is use it to describe and store documents and there search for the documents I need. Data entry and searching are absolutely it.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

In your only form you will find the compile errors that Charlotte has pointed out.

These errors (eg. DayTimer) relate to variables that are not defined. We keepepeating that until you clear up these errors you will get nowhere with the conversion.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>These errors (eg. DayTimer) relate to variables that are not defined. We keep repeating that until
    >you clear up these errors you will get nowhere with the conversion.

I understand but I cannot figure out how to do this.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you actually build this database or did someone else? It doesn't sound as if you are familiar with building Access forms and taking the necessary steps to make sure they work. Without knowing your knowledge level, all we can do is give you general pointers. Your best best might be to find an Access programmer in your area and have them take a look at the database.
    Charlotte