Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Memo Field Entry (Access 2000)

I have a table with a memo field labeled "Notes". I can open the table and edit the notes field. I have a query that includes the Notes field, but I cannot edit it. It used to work, but not lately. Any ideas as to what I can do to make this field editable?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Memo Field Entry (Access 2000)

When was "used to"? Yesterday, a month ago, in a previous version, or what? And do you mean that you can't edit the memo field in the query or that the query is not updateable? If you try to index on a memo field in a query, that field won't be editable.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to have been so obtuse. I still have the previous version running, and the Notes (a memo type field) works OK. I just finished normalizing the data base and making a bunch of other changes and I made some changes to the base table -- none of which involved the Notes field.

However, I needed some fields totalled, so I changed the query (on which the main form is based) to a totals query, now the Notes field has "Group by" in the Totals area. Does grouping prohibit one from editing a memo field? If so, is there some work around?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

GroupBy queries are not updateable, period. It isn't just the memo field you can't edit, and the only workaround is to not use a groupby query.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte. At least I know what the problem is. I shall have to give more thought as to how to generate the totals I need without using a totals query.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why would you want to edit anything in a totals query anyhow? Since you are grouping by various field values, the item you edited might not be the one you intended to edit.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'm trying to remember, but I think I used a Totals query to obtain a totals in a subform on a report. Unfortunately, I was using the same query as record source for a form -- In retrospect, it was a lousy idea. I've changed it to a normal select query, and everything seems to be working OK so far.

I was encouraged to normalize the data base by Helen Feddema's Access Development book, but I obviously still have a lot to learn about Access. However, I'm quite pleased with the newly revised application, and I managed to get rid of a lot of redundancy and add more flexibility once I made these changes.

Thanks again for your help.