5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Hidden Administrator Account Password! (XP Pro SP2)

Arg! I feel so foolish. I've lost the hidden administrator password. I had a hint written down on a piece of paper - only the paper must have been a casualty of a clean up. I just can't remember the password. I have some ideas but haven't hit on the right combination.. What can I do? If I back up my system with Acronis True Image and then reinstall windows and create a new password for the hidden admin account, will that work or will I be back in the same boat after restoring the Image? Is there anything else I can do?

The reason I discovered this was that I was going to make a duplicate user account and a third account is required to swap settings. It was then that I discovered my error. Can anybody please help?

Thanks

Chris (Hunt)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Hidden Administrator Account Password! (XP Pro SP2)

So long as you have an account with Administrator privileges you should be able to change the password for the Administrator account.

I don't have a copy of XP Home, so I'm not absolutely sure how you would set about doing this, but it can't be too hard. Try one or more of these methods:
    <UL><LI>Right click on My Computer > Manage > Local Users and Groups > Users > Right click on Administrator in the right hand pane > Set Password...
    <LI>Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Click on Administrator > Change Password
    <LI>Start > Run > control userpasswords2 > Select Administrator > Reset Password[/list]Try each of these after a normal startup and then if none of them works try again in safe mode.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Hidden Administrator Account Password! (X

Thanks Stuart, that's brilliant! The first option worked first time without even going into safe mode. I'm gobsmacked how easy that was. What price security on Windows XP - and that's the professional version.

I can really see how browsing the Internet with an account with full privileges is dangerous. I just wonder now how I can get a fully functioning limited user account. My attempt to copy my administrators account and change it to a limited users account was a dismal failure.. If you have any ideas about this would you please reply to my other post.

Thanks again, you saved my day!

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Hidden Administrator Account Password! (X

> What price security on Windows XP

You were using an account with administrative privileges, this enables you to do almost anything on the computer.

StuartR