Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keeping Graph Format

Hi, I'm using Office 2000 Sr-1. I'm pretty new to Excel although I've been using Word and Access quite alot. My problem is with a chart saved on the same worksheet as the data. If some one resizes the chart, the font sizes change for all the labels. Are there other ways to prevent this besides saving the chart alone on a separate sheet? I also need to allow new entries into the chart data columns.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keeping Graph Format

If you click on the text item involved, you should get a format dialogue, select the Font tab and switch off Auto scale.

If you enter new data into the column, you can select the chart Bars or lines, and you will notice the current range is enclosed in a blue box. You can drag that box to encompass the new data entries, and they then be included in the chart.

Andrew C

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I think that what I need to do is to set up the Chart the way I want, including turning off the auto scale, then save it as a user defined chart type.
    When I do this it saves my text also. If I don't leave the text in place it defaults to the "default" chart value.
    I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Is there a way to save the settings without the text? And is there a way to apply the new format to older charts without it over-writing existing text?

georgette

After having struggled with this problem in a 500 page report with about 100 Excel charts, I consulted our in-house guru who advised me to save the charts created (using Chart location) onto a separate worksheet. Then you can adjust all the fonts by selecting the chart and setting your desired font (I use Arial 14 point to cut'n'paste into a Word document with a graphic that is 5.5" wide). Also make any other adjustments using Chart Options {colors, plot background, legend placement, titles, scales, etc.) to made the charts consistent with others you plan to put into Word/PowerPoint/etc.

However with Excel and Word 2000, I have had to copy from Excel and Paste Special|Picture into Word for the fonts to remain consistent in Excel. Still, it is easier than having the charts be different sizes, etc.

Good Luck,
    Georgette

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I suppose that is what I should do (save them on a separate worksheet), it would certainly solve most of my problems. Its just that I dread having to go back over thousands of workbooks to bring them up to date. But, that's what they call job security, right? Once its done keeping up with new additions would go pretty smoothly.
    Thanks for your help.

Lounger
    Thanks

I realize this is an old thread, but I have a follow-up question that I hope someone can answer. Is there a way to set up Excel 2000 (Windows 98SE) so that I can permanently switch off Auto scale? Is it something that would be saved in the work.xlt or sheet.xlt templates I've saved in XLStart?

Thanks

You can do this by making your own user defined chart type.

Create and customize your chart in the way you want - including turning off the auto scale (note: the scale will be set to the maximum you choose here).
    The following is taken from Excel Help.
    1. Select the chart.
    2. On the Chart menu, click Chart Type.
    3. On the Custom Types tab, click User-defined.
    4. Click Add.
    5. In the Name box, type a name.
    6. If you want to add a description, type it in the Description box.
    7. Click OK.
    Note Custom chart types are stored in workbooks. Built-in custom chart types are stored in Xl8galry.xls. If you have added your own custom chart types, Excel stores them in Xlusrgal.xls.

HTH
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Good description, but this does overwrite your titles when you change to this chart type *after* you have created one using one of the standard chart types.
    To prevent that, one must use the custom chart type from the very start.

A good way to copy formatting from chart1 to another is to :

-select chart1, Copy
    - select chart 2, Paste special, formats.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Thanks

good call!
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile