3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dire Corruption? (XP)

I have an application which seemed to be working fine.

This has been created/edited on two machines (one running Office XP, one running Office 2000, both with Windows XP).

It needs to be copied to a new tablet pc running Access 2003 on Windows XP Tablet PC edition.

When I try to open the database I get the message:

"The Microsoft Jet Database engine could not find the object 'MSysDb'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly'"

Just had a search on the internet and am horrified to find this is apparently a sign of catastrphic corruption.

What would be the quickest way of sorting of this out.

Suggesting going back to a backup if probably not a good idea as it must have been like this for ages.

Any suggestion sgreatly appreciated

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dire Corruption? (XP)

Create a new, blank database.
    Select File | Get External Data | Import...
    Locate and select the corrupt database, and import all database objects (tables, queries, forms, ...) into the blank database.
    If you had set startup options in Tools | Startup..., you will have to set them in the new database.
    If you had non-standard references in Tools | References... in the Visual Basic Editor, you will have to set them in the new database too.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, was just trying that now, will let you know in a moment whether it worked.

What I really don't undertstand is why it seems fine of 2002 - is 2003 'stricter' in some way?

Plus, how would I get to see the table MSysDb, it does't show up in a new db with either susytem object or hidden objects turned on?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It didn't work, this time we got a very similar error, almost word for word except it said 'could not find the object 'databases'

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid your only hope - if you don't have a good backup - is to use one of the Access recovery applications or services. See Corrupt Microsoft Access MDBs FAQ.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

MSysDb is not a table (at least not in the normal sense). It is a Document of the Databases container of the database (Document and Container are DAO objects). So you won't see MSysDb in the database window, even if you display hidden and system objects. You can retrieve some info about it in code (only in a non-corrupt database - if MSysDB is missing, this will fail):

Sub ListMSysDbProperties()
    Dim dbs As DAO.Database
    Dim ctr As DAO.Container
    Dim doc As DAO.Document
    Dim prp As DAO.Property
    Set dbs = CurrentDb
    Set ctr = dbs.Containers!Databases
    Set doc = ctr.Documents("MSysDb")
    For Each prp In doc.Properties
    Debug.Print prp.Name & " = " & prp.Value
    Next prp
    Set prp = Nothing
    Set doc = Nothing
    Set ctr = Nothing
    Set dbs = Nothing
    End Sub

(You need a reference to the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library for this to run). I don't know why Access 2003 would have a problem while Access 2002 doesn't.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have used total access recovery in a previous job but haven't managed to persuade anyone we need it here - perhaps now is the time!