3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing a Modem/Not an Internet Connection

I have a little network at home with three computers. All use Windows XP Pro. The fastest computer has a modem, which I use to send faxes only, since I do my internet surfing through a DSL line. All my computers share the DSL line. There must be a way to share the modem with the other two PCs other than to make an internet connection. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Thanks

Re: Sharing a Modem/Not an Internet Connection

Are you wanting to share the modem for sending faxes?
    If so, I do not believe that either sharing the modem or the XP Fax service is possible. You may need to get some software to allow the PC to act as a fax server.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sending faxes would be one of the possibilities. Any suggestions on fax server software? Thanks for the information!

Thanks

A search throughout the Lounge will bring up various threads where fax software has been discussed, but I suspect you may be better off doing a Google search, or posing the question in the Software forum.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For a home network with 3 computers it would probably be easiest to put a separate modem on each computer, connect the phone line to all 3, and let them send their own faxes.

I don't know any way that you can prevent Windows from dialling out on a particular modem, except by not creating a dial out connection that uses that modem. I believe that some security packages include protection against diall out software - but I haven't tested any of these myself.

StuartR