New Lounger
    Thanks

Folder and/or file order (Office 2003)

Apologies in advance for a dumb question. I operate from two offices, each with Office 2003 on a Windows XP SP2 machine. At the home office, the order of folders and files is automatically altered, somehow, so that the order in which they are displayed changes by usage. If I am in my "MSCI" folder, for example, and I have 15 subfolders, the subfolders that appear first on the list under MSCI are ranked in order of most recent usage. The order changes based on whatever project I happen to be working on.

On other other machine, however, the folder order never changes. I should note that on both machines I have my folders set to show most recent files first (vs. alphabetical). Yet on one machine, I can always count on the folders moving to accomodate usage, and on the other, it never happens.

What's the reason one changes and the other doesn't?

Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Folder and/or file order (Office 2003)

It is strange nobody answered you yet. In Windows Explorer (My Computer) or Office Common Open Dialog window you can change items sorting criteria by following steps:

1. Open Windows Explorer (My Computer) or click File | Open from Office application. Remember - they are TWO DIFFERENT things, changing one of them doesn't change the other.

2. Find View icon on the right side of the toolbar and click on it, then from drop-down menu choose "details"

3. Click on a table header with item you want to use as sorting criteria, or click two times to reverse order (arrow up - ascending; arrow down - descending). If you don't see the column representing your preffered criteria, right-click on any header and from pop-up menu choose an appropriate option.

For example, on my picture - sorting by Name, from A to Z.

4. Click on View icon once again and return your preferred view.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the suggestion. Here's what I found.

When I open Windows Explorer, and choose details from the View menu, there is no option to sort by most recent first.

I do not have or did not understand the meaning of "Office Common Open Dialog," so I went to Word and did as suggested. Word was already set to provide details, sorted by most recent item first. Under that sorting, what I see in lists of files is, first, files, most recent on top to least recent on the bottom, followed by folders. The order of the folders never changes. I think that means that the system is giving me the folders in the order that I created them, but of course what I want is for them to be ordered in terms of folders that have content that was most recently changed. This is what happens at my other office, but it does not happen here.

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do you make the default view for everything, windows, Word, Excel, etc. to be List view or Details view instead of icons?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think it is possible to do that in one fell swoop.

In Windows Explorer:
    - Set the view the way you like.
    - Select Tools | Folder Options...
    - Activate the View tab.
    - Click Apply to all folders.

In Office:
    - Select File | Open... in any Office application.
    - Set the view the way you want.
    - The settings should "stick"
    - But there are exceptions: folders with pictures will always default to thumbnail view, for example.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok - thanks for the info.