5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Form to make query (XP)

Can I set up a form using combo boxes to design a 1-time use query? Some of my end users are complaining about their inability to create queries and I really don't want them to get into the design view. And before I'm given a link to WendellB's User-Lever Security info, I do know about it, I'm just exploring Access' options....thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form to make query (XP)

The Form Filter and Advanced Filter option for forms provide powerful ways to filter the data in a form (the Advanced Filter window is almost the same as the query design window). It is also possible to use combo boxes to create a filter for a form or report. So in general, it shouldn't be necessary for end users to create queries, even temporarily.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I thought so...(the combo box route), I knew it was there, I just have to play with that. I know how to set up the form with the combo boxes and all, but how do I make it open the datasheet? And in read-only?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you may be getting a bit lazy. Have you tried using the object browser, help?

If by datasheet, you mean the query in datasheet view, try something like this:

DoCmd.OpenQuery "MyQuery", acViewNormal, acReadOnly
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can open a query (Charlotte has shown you how), but you might as well open a form or a report. With a form, you can control precisely which fields the user can or cannot modify, and a report is read-only by nature. See the following Knowledge Base articles:

ACC2000: How to Synchronize Two Combo Boxes on a Form
    ACC2000: How to Filter a Report from a Pop-Up Form
    ACC2000: How to Sort a Report from a Pop-Up Form
    ACC2000: How to Filter a Report Using a Form's Filter