Star Lounger
    Thanks

FP clunky? ((FP2002 (10.2623.2625)))

In my research on web designing, I keep coming across negative comments from designers who use pure HTML - these guys invariably knock FP and all WYSIWYG web design software, claiming that it is cumbersome by comparison with writing your own HTML. I have seen comments many times to the effect that FP designed websites display differently in different browsers etc, whereas those designed using only HTML can be relied upon to show up exactly as written, whatever the browser and other conditions. Further, there are frequent claims that websites designed using pure HTML are "lighter" and download much faster.

What is the general consensus from web designers here, I wonder? I suppose most of us are going to be biased towards FP, since we probably wouldn't be viewing this Forum if we were using pure HTML. It is likely, I am guessing, that many of you, like me, have no idea about writing HTML code. If there are significant benefits in learning HTML, perhaps it is worth the effort, but it seems daunting indeed from where I sit in my current ignorance. Also, my FP-designed sites seem to function pretty well. Could there be some snobbery talking here, or do the HTML writing purists have valid points in their anti-WYSIWYG claims?

Finally, since it is a simple matter to reveal the HTML language "behind" one's FP designs, is there a way to take the HTML coding and get rid of the FP WYSIWYG elements, thus ending up with the "lighter" HTML coding that the purists are advocating? This is lazy of me, but if there is a way to derive the advantages of using pure HTML without having to learn the baffling stuff, by learning how to remove the FP elements leaving the pure HTML intact...well, it could be a handy short-cut. Interested in the comments of folk more educated than I on this stuff.

Cheers

Ross

Thanks

Re: FP clunky? ((FP2002 (10.2623.2625)))

um, I've written about why FP gets such a bad rap before - <post#=234209 >post 234209 </post#>
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, thanks Catharine - but have you got any comments on my last para?

Thanks

is there a way to take the HTML coding and get rid of the FP WYSIWYG elements
    I guess I have to confess I'm not clear on what FP WYSIWYG elements you are referring to.
    FP Components? - Just don't use them.
    Want to ensure you don't accidently use too new of a technology - set the Page Options, Compatibilty switch.
    Want to make sure FP doesn't "correct" your code - set the Page Options, HTML General option to preserve existing HTML.
    Want to make sure you start with a plain html page without the betraying FP meta tags - create a plain html file and save it as a template to be used as often as you wish.

"I have seen comments many times to the effect that FP designed websites display differently in different browsers etc, whereas those designed using only HTML can be relied upon to show up exactly as written, whatever the browser and other conditions
    Horse pucky! The comment that the HTML will always appear the same regardless of browser is to put it bluntly not true. If it was, my life and the lives of many designers would be much easier. The problem comes from different browsers interpretation of the HTML code - and there is no variant of HTML that can overcome this. Of course, FP does tend do offer "features" that display best in Internet Explorer - but that is where the use of the Page Options settings can help you avoid making one of those sites that "displays best in Internet Explorer".
    Finally for the "lightest" pages - investigate using CSS styles sheets. Using style sheets for formatting is a definite help for avoiding the use and abuse of the FONT tag. And yes FP fully supports making and using Style Sheets.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Catharine.

Thanks

A late comment...

I write a lot of my HTML in WordPad (mostly ASP files edited directly on the server), as it lets me open files with the fewest complaints about security, the presence of extensions, and so forth. However, a WYSIWYG tool is fastest for things like changing the attributes of table columns, since you can select a column and change all cells at once. And if I can't figure out how to do something, I can fire up FP2002, use the interactive tools, and see what code it generates. So you'll benefit from having some WYSIWYG tool available, you just have to decide which one works best for you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

So, I do have to learn HTML after all - is this what you're telling me, jscher2000?!

Seriously, I was wondering if FP revealed code could be used in the way you describe, so thanks.

Cheers